Author Topic: 69 Carpet Configuration-Front Seats  (Read 23301 times)

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 69 Carpet Configuration-Front Seats
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2013, 04:01:33 PM »
<<How about a pic of the floor of the car before the carpet is put in but after the underlayment is out.
My car was "lightened" for racing sometime before 1975 and it had no underlayment at all in it when I got it.

Trying to put some in, but can't figure out two of the pieces.>>

Photos below show (in order) the '67, '68, and '69 mastic melt pads (underlayment) that went on the floor pan prior to the carpet.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2013, 01:22:41 AM »
So were those the flat, thin asphalt type mats or the ones with some level of fiber under them?
68Z28

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2013, 02:13:17 AM »
Thanks John.

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2013, 04:22:16 AM »
Pretty sure there is no fiber underneath.  I pulled a set out in 1971, and don't believe there was any of the jute type fiber under those mats.  The jute fiber may permeat those mats over time, especially if the car is outdoors in hot climate.

Now, really dumb question.  I haven't taken the protective backing off yet, but it appears that the one in the driver's footwell will cover one of the holes for the dimmer switch.  Was the switch installed first, then the mat layed over that one hole?

Yeay, I know.  Roy Sinor and I were talking and he told me it sounds like my car is "possesing".  Play on word instead of progressing.

Thanks again for any help.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2013, 05:26:50 AM »
Photos below show (in order) the '67, '68, and '69 mastic melt pads (underlayment) that went on the floor pan prior to the carpet.

John, the door panel in photo #2 suggest the car is a '67.

Paul

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2013, 02:44:59 PM »
Steve, have you measured the distance across of the flaps?  Or can you give dimensions across the whole carpet?  Who makes the most accurate carpet that duplicates the padding like the original?

Sorry for the delay, I just saw the request for measurements. From left to right as pictured in inches:

9   +13 1/4   +21   +13 1/2   +8 3/4

Hope this helps.

Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2013, 04:23:59 PM »

John, the door panel in photo #2 suggest the car is a '67.

Paul

Could well be a '67 - not my photo.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2013, 04:27:08 PM »

I haven't taken the protective backing off yet, but it appears that the one in the driver's footwell will cover one of the holes for the dimmer switch.  Was the switch installed first, then the mat layed over that one hole?

The mastic/melt pads were installed by Fisher Body, and the dimmer switch was installed much later in the process by Chevrolet.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2013, 05:19:53 AM »
Thanks Steve.  It just looks like those pads are thicker than the sheet of black asphalt I was sent when I did mine.  In your pictures it looks like there is jute around the edges (could be from carpet) and they just look thicker.  Can you guess at the thickness of pads?  1/4 ", more?  The stuff I got was like 1/32" or less.
68Z28

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2013, 02:40:37 PM »
Thanks Steve.  It just looks like those pads are thicker than the sheet of black asphalt I was sent when I did mine.  In your pictures it looks like there is jute around the edges (could be from carpet) and they just look thicker.  Can you guess at the thickness of pads?  1/4 ", more?  The stuff I got was like 1/32" or less.

I would say the thickness is about 3/16"
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2013, 09:38:22 PM »
I wonder if there is a place that sells these that are more like the correct thickness?
68Z28

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »
Well, I hate to recommend "Repops" brand anything, because most of their items are way off.  But, that is what I have and they are very much like the ones pictured above.  They may not be quite as thick, but you can always double up if you feel you need them thicker.

Lynn

anything