Author Topic: Power steering pump restoration  (Read 3109 times)

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
Power steering pump restoration
« on: July 06, 2017, 05:35:15 PM »
Three issues :

1 - I replaced my power steering pump so I could figure out how to restore the original. The original works great but is badly dented on the neck. It looks like it was pried on to tighten the belts at some point. Does anyone have any recommendations on repairing the neck of the pump? Are replacement necks available anywhere?

2- The aftermarket pump I am using in the mean time has the original cap on it. The fit is terrible. It is loose. Has anyone used an after market cap? Do they seal.

3- The cap is metal with small wings for grip to turn with a plastic dip tube. I have seen plastic as well as metal. Were the original caps metal? what finish is correct?

My intent was to run the repop pump until I complete the restoration on the original. thank you again for all you assistance.

John
68 07D SS350
John

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Power steering pump restoration
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 09:14:22 PM »
John, the original pump is dated, so try and keep it. I know they can be restored, but I'm not sure who does it. I don't believe the necks are available by themselves though. As for the cap fitting badly, is it the cap or the aftermarket pump causing the problem?

There was a CAP DISCUSSION several years ago regarding the metal -vs- plastic caps, and from the results, it appears the metal cap was used through sometime in 1969 when it was changed to the plastic cap. Exactly when is still a mystery.

Ed

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 03:58:20 AM »
10 years later and I've still never seen anything but a plastic cap on a 69.
Kurt S
CRG

Hans L

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 04:03:28 AM »
I had Rick Nelson, from Muscle Car and Design restore the PS pump, reservoir, and pulley for my Z.  He does a phenomenal job, but not cheap..he might be able to repair the dent as well.

http://www.musclecarrestorationanddesign.com/index.htm

https://www.instagram.com/69camarorsz28/
'69 Camaro RS Z/28 Van Nuys Built
'69 Chevelle SS 396 4 Speed

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 03:10:22 PM »
This is all great feedback guys. Much appreciated.

As for fit. The cap I have fits the old pump beautifully. That cap discussion is exactly what I was looking for. also, point noted John.

I would certainly like to put the original back on, it just looks terrible so will investigate restoring. Thank you for the link for Rick Nelson, I will include that as a possibility.

cheers,
John
68 07D SS350
John