Author Topic: Car magazines  (Read 3613 times)

Kelley W King

• View Profile
Car magazines
« on: July 04, 2017, 02:05:20 PM »
Happy 4th. I read a lot of car magazines especially muscle car articles. I would guess a lot of the writers are not really serious car guys as much as writers. You see that many of the older guys who may have (been there) in the day are retiring. More and more I see articles that have many items that are not correct. I feel sure that they write what someone told them about the cars. But to publish things worldwide, it would seem that to check things for correctness would be wise. I read things like (original, rare, ect) that are clearly not correct. I even saw a write up on an original owner 66 GTO that had a spec sheet were the drawing showed a 67 model. Wonder if they ever thought about getting someone knowledgeable about the car type to proof read the article first?
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Re: Car magazines
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 03:18:43 PM »
Really depends on the mission and purpose of the magazine.
Interestingly, I have seen articles where the owner supplied inaccurate information.
There are still some young, knowledgeable editors/writers out there. But you are right seems like far less than there used to be.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 10:10:31 PM »
That's because all the young guns now write for "Import Tuner "  >:(
Darrell
'69 Camaro Z/28: 03B NOR X77 Dusk Blue, white top, all orig, Under construction
'69 Firebird all original 350 all power w/ac
'70 Plymouth Superbird: One owner, Limelight green, 45K miles, all original U code

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 04:10:28 PM »
I agree with the OP. It is a given in most car magazines, that they are going to spew out what the owner told them, or they will get there info from wikipedia or some other un-vetted source.

I think where I have had more of an issue with the mis-information, has been Hagerty insurance, when they put out one of their "buying guide" videos together or a similar webpage. How can you say your trying to "help" the car hobby, or your customer base, and then put together a video, that is loosely fact based? or put emphasis on the wrong things when looking to purchase a classic car?

There are MANY knowledgeable people out there to draw information from to put together accurate info for magazines or buyers guides, I just don't think they want to put the time in to get it right, it takes away from their bottom line.

1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

camaroboy68ss

• 1968 L30/M20
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 07:18:01 PM »
I agree it not really "helping" the hobby when you mainly talk about some of the legends of the muscle cars as a fact instead of just a tall tale that it is. One that tries to do good fact checking is "Muscle Car of the Week" on youtube.

I remember when my parents bought a new ford around 2003, they would then get an official Ford magazine. One issue was on the 100th anniversary of Ford and they couldnt even get the production years right for the Model T and Model A's (there were two)
Young gun with a Camaro or 2.
1968 Camaro RS L30/M20, 2017 Camaro SS
1968 Chevy C10 - Twin to the Camaro
1933 Ford Pickup - "Camaro in disguise"

Ron C.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 06:38:11 PM »
I was at menards chevy show and won best stock anniversary and my car was announced as a rally sport when its a 67 z/28.  :( Just goes to show not everyone is up on these cars when a judge doesnt know what he is looking at. ::)
67Z/28,67RSZ/28,71SS454CHEVELLE.

anything