Author Topic: Need Ball Joint Rivets Installed  (Read 9589 times)

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
Re: Need Ball Joint Rivets Installed
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2018, 10:44:31 PM »
Here are photos of another control arm I restored for my project which I plan to use. Unlike the example I posted earlier this one is painted 30% gloss black, has the bubble top ball joint (PN 9740081) and inboard exposed (dog bone) bushing. I'm not convinced the non-exposed bushings are any more or less correct for the period however this one has the exposed version. I plan to remove the paint from the bottom of the rivets as they were installed after the control arm was (dip) painted and should be natural.

JohnDS

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2021, 08:48:09 PM »
Lloyd,

Greatly appreciate the detailed pix and information you've shared.
Regarding the black gloss finish on control arms, I was under the impression that these should have slightly more gloss than the Fender Skirts and Subframe.
What degree of gloss did you paint your Fender Skirts, Subframe?

Thanks!

John

tomstiel

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2021, 03:51:01 PM »
I tried to "TOOL" up to perform this task and failed -
Challenges, Sourcing quality correctly size starting stock rivets, Correct Tooling for "Backing bar" & "Buck"  driver for proper setting of rivets, Making a stable set up to crush aka set rivets,  was a big pain for just 6 pc of hardware, I went with ZIP products threaded rivets the Vette houses sell and called it good.

JIM
I did mine with a hydraulic press and some scrap steel for backing up the rivit,,,easy to do

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2021, 05:46:46 PM »
Lloyd,

Greatly appreciate the detailed pix and information you've shared.
Regarding the black gloss finish on control arms, I was under the impression that these should have slightly more gloss than the Fender Skirts and Subframe.
What degree of gloss did you paint your Fender Skirts, Subframe?

Thanks!

John

John, just reading your post now. Having observed several original Gen 1 Camaros (and owned a couple) the gloss for most parts is +/-30%. Some parts require full gloss (IMO about 80% for modern paint) and others 60%. A list of finishes including paint gloss (incomplete) is available on-line. Specific to your question about the inner fenders and the subframe, I haven't noted a discernible difference in gloss levels. I used 30% gloss for both.

vtfb68

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2021, 11:47:25 PM »
Hi guys,
FYI, a quality truck stop/shop will be able to install these rivets as that is a common service item to them.
   VT
68 05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
68 08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
67 11B LA  RS/SS M-1 797-Z L48 M21  Convertible

anything