Author Topic: I broke it ! Don't think it's the clutch.  (Read 8809 times)

Gabby4244

• View Profile
I broke it ! Don't think it's the clutch.
« on: May 30, 2017, 01:03:40 AM »
Hi Guys, I've done most everything to my car except the clutch and tranny... Coming back from a ride, throwing 2nd to 3rd gear the shiftier locked up. No movement at all !The only way I could get into neutral or move the shiftier into any gear was to shut the engine off. So stuck in the middle of no where, I had to shut down, put it into 1st then start the car in 1st gear until it got me going. 1st gear all the way home... >:( Anyone have any ideas ?? Thanks.
1969 396 SS Rag Top

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
Re: I broke it ! Don't think it's the clutch.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 01:12:10 AM »
Clutch
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

Oldtimer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 01:34:45 AM »
I don't post here very often, but had a similar experience when I was road racing a '69 decades ago.  The problem I had turned out to be over-torqued flywheel bolts, that sheared under load, and the flywheel and clutch became in conflict inside the bellhousing.

We were able to get the transmission into 2nd gear, and pushed started the car for a race, but it popped out of gear when I hit a rumble strip on the inside of a turn, and then ended us for the day.

Good Luck!

Gabby4244

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 02:17:52 AM »
I haven't had any issues before this... Clutch and flywheel being conflicted sound right, unable to shift while engine is running, only able to change gears is while motor is off BUT over torqued bolts. I guess I'll have to wait and see, can't get to it for a bit. Thanks.
1969 396 SS Rag Top

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 05:16:02 AM »
When you do check and see if you can see inside the slit of the bell housing for metal chunks.  Could be the fingers on clutch gave out, throw-out bearing or as in my case the throw-out bearing retainer broke on the nose of the tranny and grenaded inside the bell housing.  Mine ran but had a tinkling noise from the pieces rolling around and the clutch wouldn't engage very well and wouldn't shift.
68Z28

Gabby4244

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 11:11:46 AM »
I have blown-up a clutch before, sending pieces through the bottom of the bell housing and not my leg but this seems completely different. Thanks.
1969 396 SS Rag Top

ko-lek-tor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 11:47:03 AM »
I'll admit, I got off the train at about 1975 and never got back on or moved forward. I think they call that Old School. Unless things have changed, back then there were 3 type pressure plates for a single disc chevy clutch. Diaphragm ( most common) and (2) 3 finger type, Borg&Beck and Long. Never knew what the origin of those were? Just accepted that fact. The 3 fingers were preferable for racing.

Back around 1981, I decide that my perfectly working Scheifer diaphragm plate (which was warped concave) needed replaced. I put in a B&B style plate with a new "Zoom" disc. Got it all sorted out and wanted to show this thing off to a buddy. We are at a light on a four lane and when it turns green, I drop the hammer. My car would put down some hellacious posi stripes usually 100 ft. Or more. This day it was hooking up good though. I come up to the next turn off and push on the clutch to down shift. Nothing! Still had pressure plate feel, but the car would not down shift. So I cram on the brakes harder and slow enough to come up to the lh turn lane. The car stalls! What the heck? I put her in neutral, start her up, and I cannot get it into any gear. I shut it off, put it in 1st ,start it in gear, and limp the thing home. I get the clutch torn down. My new Zoom disc has 3 spring steel paddles and that is it!! All the lining on both sides of the disc are completely shredded off! Gone! No lining. I can see toward the rear underside something fuzzy looking. Back on the rear axle housing, the 2 turbo mufflers and the underside lip of the tail panel is this shredded fine textured fiberglasss looking material that used to be my clutch lining. Now I know your car is not a big block, nor is it H.O., but it is possible, by what you describe, that something failed in that area ? You won't know till you tear it down. But this is why I say clutch. Good luck
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 03:11:03 PM »
Pilot bearing/bushing seized, possibly. (Clutch)
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

67 RS Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 06:54:43 PM »
Often times the failed lining merely "stacks up" between the pressure plate and flywheel. This allows you to feel the pressure plate trying to release, but the clutch does not disengage - then you need to shut it down, shift into the desired gear, restart and limp home. I have seen this type of failure multiple times, and it may be what you experienced. FWIW

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 08:11:14 PM »
Could be the clutch fork, disc, pressure plate, maybe release bearing. It has to come apart either way.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

Gabby4244

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 10:40:21 PM »
I'll admit, I got off the train at about 1975 and never got back on or moved forward. I think they call that Old School. Unless things have changed, back then there were 3 type pressure plates for a single disc chevy clutch. Diaphragm ( most common) and (2) 3 finger type, Borg&Beck and Long. Never knew what the origin of those were? Just accepted that fact. The 3 fingers were preferable for racing.

Back around 1981, I decide that my perfectly working Scheifer diaphragm plate (which was warped concave) needed replaced. I put in a B&B style plate with a new "Zoom" disc. Got it all sorted out and wanted to show this thing off to a buddy. We are at a light on a four lane and when it turns green, I drop the hammer. My car would put down some hellacious posi stripes usually 100 ft. Or more. This day it was hooking up good though. I come up to the next turn off and push on the clutch to down shift. Nothing! Still had pressure plate feel, but the car would not down shift. So I cram on the brakes harder and slow enough to come up to the lh turn lane. The car stalls! What the heck? I put her in neutral, start her up, and I cannot get it into any gear. I shut it off, put it in 1st ,start it in gear, and limp the thing home. I get the clutch torn down. My new Zoom disc has 3 spring steel paddles and that is it!! All the lining on both sides of the disc are completely shredded off! Gone! No lining. I can see toward the rear underside something fuzzy looking. Back on the rear axle housing, the 2 turbo mufflers and the underside lip of the tail panel is this shredded fine textured fiberglasss looking material that used to be my clutch lining. Now I know your car is not a big block, nor is it H.O., but it is possible, by what you describe, that something failed in that area ? You won't know till you tear it down. But this is why I say clutch. Good luck
You are absolutely right, I need to tear it down. It's something I have never experienced with a clutch before, not your normal blown clutch. On the other hand why do you think it's not a BB ? Thanks.
1969 396 SS Rag Top

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 09:23:17 PM »
I think Bentley was just saying he doesn't know if your BB, is high output or not. ( not all big blocks are).  So while Bentley was driving like a mad man, and blew his, you could have been doing a moderately hard shift, and your clutch was about done already.
BTW Bentley do you still drive like its 1975 still? (burnouts at every stop light...)  ;D

It sounds like the clutch just needs replacing. I wouldn't get into talking about the lining and everything else until you actually take it apart.
What you described to me, just sounds like the typical no clutch, time to redo it repair.
I have had it happen enough times, that it is no big surprise.
Only other thing that I have seen happen, is if your gates aren't lined up correctly, will also jam and not go into gear, (or get stuck in gear)That can happen from a loose shift rod as well.
Should be an easy fix either way. Clutch should only take a few hours, with the right tools and parts in hand.
let us know how it goes :)
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 09:34:01 PM »
Yep, time to tear down and inspect.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

Gabby4244

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2018, 04:54:10 PM »
Hey Guys, Torque specs ?? I have Spectre flywheel bolts and I see the torque spec is 60lbs. But my pressure plate bolts are ARP... and the origanal spec sheet says pressure plate spec is 35lbs unless your using ARP. The ARP site says 3/8" bolts are 45lbs... WTF any suggestions ?? Thanks Paul
1969 396 SS Rag Top

ko-lek-tor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2018, 03:00:53 AM »
Hey “Newb”, you never told us what you found. As far as the BB comment, I see you have, indeed, a bb car! My bad and kudos. I saw those “Z” stripes in your avatar and made an assumption. I will defer to my sb brethren, here, to see if they have experienced the same clutch trouble. But i really do not need to consult, I already know if the car has a bow tie on it,  it is capable of shredding a clutch ‘cause theyCgevys) are all “bad to the bone”, lol.

Austin- Drive like it’s ‘75? There was an oil embargo...parked the gal and have not started her since.

If ARP says 45# with their parts?, then that is what I would do.
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1967 302 4 spd 5.13