Go to full version

Camaro Research Group Discussion > Originality

1969 Z/28 Sway Bar End Links

(1/3) > >>

Edgemontvillage:
Has anyone seen Pal locking nuts used on sway bar end links on an original 1969 Z?

william:
I haven't seen the PAL nuts; not shown in the Assembly Instruction Manual. Z/28s were not different, used the production front sway bar & hardware.

68Zproject:
I got an original set off a 68 for my car and they didn't have those locking nuts either.  It was a 68 though.  They were so original that I went around a corner and one of the bolts broke.  I should have just kept them for show.  I of course had to replace the bolt with a repop one.

169INDY:
The 69 AIM Nut part number is shown in the AMK book as a std hex nut (i.e. NOT Locking style)
I think the constant pressure from the compression of the rubber bushings puts enough preload "locking" pressure on the nut to preclude loosening. Could be an improvement having a 1/2 height 'jam' nut to be SURE it does not back off.

the sample in the picture is FINE thread? correct? (5/16-24UNF)

Jim

Edgemontvillage:

--- Quote from: 169INDY on May 29, 2017, 03:47:04 PM ---The 69 AIM Nut part number is shown in the AMK book as a std hex nut (i.e. NOT Locking style)
I think the constant pressure from the compression of the rubber bushings puts enough preload "locking" pressure on the nut to preclude loosening. Could be an improvement having a 1/2 height 'jam' nut to be SURE it does not back off.

Originals were 5/16-24 fine thread.  Most original bolt heads were "WB" (per JM).

--- Quote from: 169INDY on May 29, 2017, 03:47:04 PM ---The 69 AIM Nut part number is shown in the AMK book as a std hex nut (i.e. NOT Locking style)

Jim

--- End quote ---

Originals were 5/16-24 fine thread.  Most original bolt heads were "WB" (per JM).
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page