Author Topic: teperature and fuel gauges  (Read 3064 times)

montgomg

• View Profile
teperature and fuel gauges
« on: May 11, 2017, 11:35:07 PM »
Restoring a 68 SS Camaro which has been stored since 1978.
Nearly finished and am having gauge problems. I installed all new AAW wiring harnesses and I cannot seem to get the fuel and temp gauges to work in the car thought they work okay when bench tested.
 My question is about the pink wire which provides power to these two gauges. I cannot light a test light on these pink wires at the gauges with the key on. The fuse is fine and there is power to the load side of the fuse.
Should not these pink wires be hot at the gauges? Thanks.

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: teperature and fuel gauges
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 12:08:00 AM »
Yes, the pink wires should be hot at RUN and START. Have you checked your ground?

Ed

montgomg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 01:03:26 AM »
Yes, and I have even run an additional ground wire, grounding the metal gauge holders. The gauge lights work if that means anything.
Before quiting on the car this evening I pulled the fuse panel from the firewall and was able to access the pink wire (the one that goes to the gauges). Ran a continuity test on the pink wire from the fuse box to the console harness connector and reading was 153 ohms. Checked with a second ohmeter with same results/ Not sure whats going on but the wire should ohm out at  zero or .1 ohms unless I am missing something.
Thanks for the response. These unusual electrical problems tend to baffle me.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 02:18:50 AM »
If I remember correctly, there are other components in the circuit as well as the two gauges (the neutral safety switch for one, if you have an automatic transmission, and maybe the tach??), so unless everything is unplugged, it may read that high. Maybe you've got a short somewhere?

Ed

Z28Project

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 01:58:33 PM »
Are the pink wires visibly lined up at the connectors?  I'm thinking maybe something mis-pinned in the new harness?
John

69 Z/28 NOR 12B X33 H.O. 'Ex-Racer'

montgomg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 06:35:57 PM »
Yes and I think I found the problem.
In the console gas gauge the small black low gas level ground wire had rotated slightly and was touching the hot lead post. After relocating and retightening the wire things seem to work correctly and now to put things back together.
Was difficult to narrow down and locate. thanks again to those who chimed in with helpful suggestions.

anything