Go to full version

Camaro Research Group Discussion > Originality

68 Z28 open element air cleaner

(1/6) > >>

68Zproject:
Is there a way to tell if the difference in the chrome lids on originals and repops?  In the other thread about the silk screening and bases, the lid business never came up.  I have an original base and the lid is nice but has no silk screening left.  It could be a repop or off another application but I was going to just have Paragon or somebody put the letters on it unless there's a way to tell that it's not identical to an original.  I was also thinking of getting their air filter element that was correct but the whole kit was $128 and if I buy a lid and element separately it would actually cost more so I thought I would get the whole kit?  Anyone need a base?

bertfam:
The main differences are the width and depth of the wing nut indentation. The cheap foreign repops are fairly shallow and not as wide as originals. The other main difference is the beading on the side. Some of the repops don't have this. And of course is the flash chrome process. Repops are usually "show" chrome.

Ed

68Zproject:
Thanks Ed.  You wouldn't have any dimensions would you?  I'm looking at the Paragon one listed in the other thread on open element air cleaners in this topic.  Is that generally regarded as accurate or same as original.  I've just seen a lot of talk about the bases and nothing about the tops but I get what you mean about them.  I have an original lid and next to mine I can see no difference.  Is it fairly obvious?

bertfam:
Well, it's really difficult to take pictures of something so small. Especially on a chrome lid!

But... that being said, here's what you need to look for:

1. Original beading - it's not really "beading" in that sense of the word, but it's where the metal is folded up on itself on the side of the lid. On original lids, the edge of the fold goes about half way up the side (see the first picture below). On repop lids, the edge of the fold goes about three quarter the way up (see second picture below). I know, it's hard to tell the differences in the pictures below, but trust me, the second picture fold is higher!

2. Stud hole "dish" - On originals, the very center of the stud hole "dish" is raised like a rounded pyramid (see the third picture below). On repops, it's flat (see the fourth picture below). Also note on some of the repops, the width of the entire stud hole "dish" (I'm not talking about just the rounded pyramid part, but the entire stud hole indentation) isn't as wide as originals. Although difficult to take a measurement on a rounded corner, the width of an original is approx 3".

I hope you can get the drift of what I mean from the pictures.

Ed

bertfam:
Because of our 4 attachment rule, I have to add that I've also included a picture of a totally incorrect repop lid (see picture below). No "beading", the stud hole is flat nor is it 3" wide.

Ed

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page