Author Topic: 68 Z28 open element air cleaner  (Read 10371 times)

68Zproject

• View Profile
68 Z28 open element air cleaner
« on: May 11, 2017, 12:45:38 AM »
Is there a way to tell if the difference in the chrome lids on originals and repops?  In the other thread about the silk screening and bases, the lid business never came up.  I have an original base and the lid is nice but has no silk screening left.  It could be a repop or off another application but I was going to just have Paragon or somebody put the letters on it unless there's a way to tell that it's not identical to an original.  I was also thinking of getting their air filter element that was correct but the whole kit was $128 and if I buy a lid and element separately it would actually cost more so I thought I would get the whole kit?  Anyone need a base?
68Z28

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: 68 Z28 open element air cleaner
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 02:45:42 AM »
The main differences are the width and depth of the wing nut indentation. The cheap foreign repops are fairly shallow and not as wide as originals. The other main difference is the beading on the side. Some of the repops don't have this. And of course is the flash chrome process. Repops are usually "show" chrome.

Ed

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 03:02:24 AM »
Thanks Ed.  You wouldn't have any dimensions would you?  I'm looking at the Paragon one listed in the other thread on open element air cleaners in this topic.  Is that generally regarded as accurate or same as original.  I've just seen a lot of talk about the bases and nothing about the tops but I get what you mean about them.  I have an original lid and next to mine I can see no difference.  Is it fairly obvious?
68Z28

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 02:41:50 PM »
Well, it's really difficult to take pictures of something so small. Especially on a chrome lid!

But... that being said, here's what you need to look for:

1. Original beading - it's not really "beading" in that sense of the word, but it's where the metal is folded up on itself on the side of the lid. On original lids, the edge of the fold goes about half way up the side (see the first picture below). On repop lids, the edge of the fold goes about three quarter the way up (see second picture below). I know, it's hard to tell the differences in the pictures below, but trust me, the second picture fold is higher!

2. Stud hole "dish" - On originals, the very center of the stud hole "dish" is raised like a rounded pyramid (see the third picture below). On repops, it's flat (see the fourth picture below). Also note on some of the repops, the width of the entire stud hole "dish" (I'm not talking about just the rounded pyramid part, but the entire stud hole indentation) isn't as wide as originals. Although difficult to take a measurement on a rounded corner, the width of an original is approx 3".

I hope you can get the drift of what I mean from the pictures.

Ed

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 02:42:44 PM »
Because of our 4 attachment rule, I have to add that I've also included a picture of a totally incorrect repop lid (see picture below). No "beading", the stud hole is flat nor is it 3" wide.

Ed

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 04:21:47 PM »
Wow, that's what I was looking for, thanks Ed.  That explains the lid I bought off Ebay many moons ago.  It had the middle hole kind of gouged out and I didn't pay much attention to it until I saw your post.  It has been tapped down for some reason to make it look like a crater instead of what it probably looked like, yours originally.  I'll get pictures but you'll see what I mean.  The wing nut hits the sides before it hits the bottom.  Side by side I can see the differences in the one that's on the car that's like your second picture set (the "bead" and the indent).
68Z28

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 05:34:06 PM »
There are currently some repros with the bead and wing nut dish. I'm unsure of how "correct" they are otherwise. I have a CHQ repro on my 68 with the bead. I'll try to grab some pics for reference if you'd like.

http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/store/product/23492/1965-1966-1967-1968-1969-1970-Camaro-Air-cleaner-lid-w-silk-screen/
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

Tx-Z 302

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 08:21:52 PM »
I have looked at those, I was hoping to find a survivor. Thanks for the info :)
Chris W

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 08:37:13 PM »
I've looked at the threads on here, TC and Z28.net.  Some things seems to be clear but others are a bit muddy.  My base looks like the ones on other threads but there's an indent on some and not others.  Also, my base seems to have a pressed in or formed pipe for the arrestor as opposed to spot welds.

68Z28

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 08:52:52 PM »
Also, my lid that's on the car looks a lot like the one that's listed as an original Z28 on ebay that was in the other thread about this subject.  Reviewing the other threads and seeing Ed's pictures kind of has me more confused.

My lid on car now

My ebay find years ago

The proposed original lids on the other threads look like the one on my car and have some kind of rolled over lip around the hole where lid cover goes over the stud in the carb.   They also don't have the reverse cone feature popping upward in Ed's lid..  I realize the ebay find lid has been gouged out and that part could be missing. 
68Z28

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 09:20:12 PM »
I didn't take a picture of the underside, but yes, my lid also has the rolled lip. You can kind of see it in my post #7 in THIS THREAD.

As for the arrestor pipe, I've seen both spot welded and press fit used so there may have been (and probably was) more than one supplier. The same goes for the lid reverse cone. There may have been more than one supplier so there may be more than one style. What I'm trying to convey though, is that the carb stud hole shouldn't be flat.

Ed

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 10:06:14 PM »
Flater than this or like this?

I did measure the thickness of my two lids where the lip rolls up over the edge like your two pictures in your "beading" pictures above and there was only a .01" difference between the two lids.  The ebay lid was thicker overall by .03" so that may have just been a manufacturer difference I guess or is that about what it would be between the two lids you show in reply #3?
68Z28

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2017, 02:31:20 AM »
Going by the P&A's, there were at least 4 chrome lids used between 1967 and 1969!

What the differences are is beyond me. So therefore, there may have been subtle changes in the design like you're seeing.

The lid I posted pictures of above is original to my car, so I can safely say that in 05D, 1968 (4th week of May), on Wednesday May 22nd (when my car was assembled), at the LA plant, on the L78/L89 engines installed in convertibles, this lid was used!! Before or after that, I can't say for sure.

;)

However, while I can't be 100 percent positive, I believe that most original lids I've ever seen have the cone.

Also note that a chrome lid was used from the mid 60's on the Chevelle, Corvette and full size cars, and well into the mid 1970's on the Corvette and a few other GM cars (with even MORE part numbers), so even though they're listed for Camaro and/or Corvette, not every lid you see on ebay actually came off a first generation Camaro (or Corvette)!!

Ed

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 02:22:08 PM »
So the story goes with an almost 50 year old car, wow.  I guess my best recourse is to hope for time travel.  But, I really do appreciate your help Ed. Thank you.
68Z28

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 03:14:09 PM »
Jerry said that Paragon has an exact reproduction lid that's acceptable for Concours judging and has the GM silk screening. I can't find the part on their site (all they show are the triple chrome lids), but the part number for the "assembly" with the flash chrome lid is 8513K. I'll check Jerry and see if he knows just the lid part number.

Ed
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 04:37:39 PM by bertfam »