Author Topic: Numbers Matching or Not?  (Read 2590 times)

camaronut

• View Profile
Numbers Matching or Not?
« on: May 09, 2017, 12:26:35 PM »
I have a friend who is the original owner of a 68 Camaro/ 327 / 4 speed....neat car.

Back in 68, he had the car for a week and the rear developed a leak, which turned out to be a crack in the casting.  The dealership had the rear replaced under GM warranty.  So is the car still considered a numbers matching drive train????  The owner had no choice - just got his car fixed under warranty.  He has all the paper work on the car since day one.....

Same car.....he ordered the car with an AM radio....but what he received when the car was delivered - was an aftermarket unit made by Motorola.  No capacitors on the frame anywhere on the car and no caps on the voltage regulator.  An obvious addition BEFORE the car was delivered.  Seems to be a money making trick dealers did back in the day...pay $60 for a GM AM radio, and the dealer puts in a cheaper aftermarket unit to make a few extra $$.

Again.... is this considered original or not????  This is how it was delivered when he picked up the car from the dealership.  How does this car get judged in concourse judging????

Just throwing this out for thought.

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
Re: Numbers Matching or Not?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 12:50:57 PM »
I have a friend who is the original owner of a 68 Camaro/ 327 / 4 speed....neat car.
 He has all the paper work on the car since day one.....

To me, this statement means everything. He has all paperwork... That documentation covers a multitude of sins. Whereas some might wonder where or why that radio is in the car, documentation explains it. Now, on a National Points judging, the radio may get dinged and the rear may not carry the max. points, but the documentation, again, covers the discrepancy. If a piece of the drivetrain can be corrected, then, that is the one piece I would want to have replace. If your friend would like to find a correct dated rear?, then, the rear is the one component that I would not sweat. Of course he would have to find one dated to the POP. I think the one warranty paper explaining is suffice , like a CE engine as long as there is documentation. Again, only my opinion and how I see the hobby. It is not so bothersome that something is replaced as to why? and, how do you know it it was replaced and why? And, I see no way the value is affected by this either.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 12:51:40 PM »
Easy - not matching numbers rear axle. If it failed and was replaced, it isn't original.  Warranty replacements are not matching numbers.

Radio is aftermarket. Put in before or after delivery it is not "correct" assembly line equipment. Corvette judging they refer to "normative practice" where incorrect items loose points even if they were on there from the day it left the factory.

Put in a radio delete faceplate and it would be correct.

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 01:18:48 PM »
What is stamped on the front passenger side axle tube? What is the axle tube on the POP?

There is paperwork on the axle problem?

Since he is the original owner, that means a lot.

On the radio, what does the dealer order form show compared to the window sticker?
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

anything