Author Topic: My new project....  (Read 15292 times)

BULLITT65

• View Profile
My new project....
« on: May 03, 2017, 06:43:06 AM »
So I have been on the hunt for a 67 Camaro (driver type car)and have probably looked at about 6 or 7 in person, and many more on the net. I was set on finding a 4 speed car. Well I did find a really nice original one but it was an automatic, so I passed. I saw many junky ones and passed on them as well. So I thought maybe I should expand my search and added a few models into the mix. So almost everyday I would check ebay daily as well as craigslist and do some random searches. Well a few weeks ago I hit the jackpot.

It was a funny listing for a 69 camaro with a 302, but then had a super small pic of a white SS. It had only been posted for 37 minutes, so I emailed the seller and got lucky, since I was the first one to contact him. He said it was his uncles car who is 82 years old, and since his hip/knee surgury a while back he was ready to sell. I told him I was very interested and would be on the road quickly, and I knew he was a bit of a drive from me, I asked if he could be patient for me to get there, and let me be the first to see it.
He texted me a couple of real pics of the car, and I was blown away:
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

BULLITT65

• View Profile
Re: My new project....
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 07:05:30 AM »
I gathered up my kids and hit the road. With SoCal traffic took me 2 hours to get there. The nephew and his uncle were both there, and the car was sitting in the driveway just like in the pic. The car had been repainted about 10 years ago, but because the owner and his brother raced a Rambler on a regular basis, he never thought of modifying the 69 Camaro. So I am skeptical, after seeing so many fakes and i start looking the car over. On the phone his nephew was adamant it was a original Z with the 302. So I looked at the engine pad, NO DZ stamp... something from a 71 chevy I think. So I showed them my book I was looking at and explained the motor was not original to the car (more on that later). I I quickly realize it is a LA 69 Camaro (no X code), so it is going to take a bit of investigating to really know what this car is. SO I ask him if I can borrow his floor jack, and i spend the next couple of hours going over the car.
Turns out it did have the original M-20 trans with VIN, and also has the original 12 bolt (3:55) dated to the car. It is a early (10B) Los Angeles car. So I continue to look it over, it has half of the original CB radiator (1 tank had been switched upon re-corring), and he had 3 of the original AD 15" rally wheels. As I continued to look it over my skepticism was turning into optimism, more and more clues presented themselves as the car being an original 69 Z/28.  I went over what I had found with the owner and his nephew and we agreed on a price.
Well to make a long story short he had misplaced the title, we worked out the details with the DMV, and I got the car.
Yesterday I got the title in the mail, and the current registration.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 08:18:32 AM by BULLITT65 »

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 07:13:56 AM »
Flat hood, short spoiler, RS, nice! And no worries about damaging a real DZ - will make a great driver to enjoy.
Did you check for a broadcast copy on top of the gas tank?
Congrats!!
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 07:22:13 AM »
I am pretty excited about the car, just need to arrange a parking spot for it. I am not exactly in an area where I can throw up a pole barn, so I have to shuffle a few things to make it happen.Even though the car does not have the original motor,  I got extremely lucky finding it for the price I paid (thank you to Jack fellow CRG member for the 2nd opinion over the phone). As far as I can tell it is an original RS Z, with the endura bumper option. Originally Dover white, with black standard interior. No gauges or console, just speedo and fuel gauge, but from the torsion bars in the trunk I am guessing an original (short) spoiler car.  The owner had a friend who bought the car new in 68. The friend then saw the new 70 body style and placed an order for one. The 82 year old seller (Robert) waited and the day his friend brought the 69 to the dealership to trade in for the 70 when it arrived, he followed up and hour later and purchased it from the original selling dealer. So he has had the car since 70. I am technically the 3rd owner. I was able to get the original DZ carb, and smog equipment, but the P.OP. and any other original items are probably still buried at his house. They are suppose to be doing a big clean up soon, so I hope they find (many) more items for the car. It does have the original heads, intake, and exhaust manifolds as well, and from what I can tell all the original sheet metal looks rust free. (save for a small repair in the rear window channel)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 08:22:46 AM by BULLITT65 »

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 07:41:48 AM »
So as the story goes about 10 years ago he needed to get the car past smog, and it was running a bit rough. He took it to a local mechanic that had worked at a local speed shop at one time, for a tune up to get it past smog. The motor was supposedly freshened up and re-installed.This is the only instance of the motor being out of the car. So I have been digging and I think that the motor is here in the SoCal area still. Maybe I will get lucky and locate it. Southern California is a big place, but 10 years ago is only 2007, so maybe it got shelved. (Looking for a 3932386 block, with partial Vin 9L503xxx)
 For now I will just run the 350 thats in it. I have started collecting original parts for it, but the list is very long. Many Mickey Mouse repairs and installs over the years: the radio swap to a new 80's stereo and speakers all around, a very early version of a alarm system, a few locking gas cap mishaps, and when it was painted looks like they put reproduction fenders on it.
I did drop the tank, looking for a broadcast copy, but only came across 2 broken remnants of gas caps in the tank. BUT it looks like the tank had never been removed, so maybe the broadcast copy is still in the car somewhere...

(Original lid left outside for the past 40 years. This is after 30 minutes of fine steel wool and elbow grease)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 08:15:42 AM by BULLITT65 »

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 07:50:17 AM »
I was able to locate 2 more AD wheels, so the 17" polished Torq thrust will be coming off and saved for another car I am in the middle of.
The AD wheels and some extra BFG's will be the rolling stock soon, and I can slowly (very slowly) get this car back to stock. The white with the black stripes is cool, and to have a RS with the Endura bumper, really sets it apart from my red car. (would really love to get the paint corrected on the front grill area). I ordered the NCRS dealer paperwork, and it was originally sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina. So if anyone runs across a set of license plate frames send me a PM. (can't afford the set on ebay $498  :o )

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 08:30:47 AM »
I will ad to this post as I find parts for the car, and install them.
The worst part of the car is the engine compartment. Can't wait to find some original parts, and get it looking original in there again.

6667ss138

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 08:34:19 AM »
Congrats Austin!!  That will make a great driver. Looking forward to more pics and info when you get a chance.

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 10:07:01 AM »
Good to read more about the car, love these sort of stories. Missed the VE3 bumper in the first picture you posted, that's a nice detail. I have a pair of Clippinger dealer plate frames but they're to go on my car, which also came from that dealer. Crazy prices on them nowadays, but I guess not too many left.
Does the car still have it's original jack in the trunk?
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

Z28Project

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 12:10:49 PM »
Wow, what a nice find!  You just never know for sure what might be on the other end of a non-descriptive craigslist ad.
It sounds like there may be more original parts to come when they do their cleanup!

Congrats on the find and the detective work!
John

69 Z/28 NOR 12B X33 H.O. 'Ex-Racer'

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 12:21:45 PM »
Awesome! Good for you, Austin.  :D
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 12:33:48 PM »
Congrats Austin.  Send me some pics of the trans & diff stamps when you get time.  Thanks.

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 12:41:41 PM »
Very nice A. Looks like you snagged a nice one! Hope it meets all your needs. Looks like it will.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 02:25:21 PM »
Whew..  finally!  :)    I've been waiting 2 weeks for you to inform us (CRG) of your great find.  I Love the white/black!  Only thing that could be better re color would be a red interior.. :)

PS.  The 350 ci engine (with orig Z28 topper parts - heads/intake/etc) will be great with the 3.55 rear for a real to-anywhere driver car...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 03:11:19 PM »
Good to read more about the car, love these sort of stories. Missed the VE3 bumper in the first picture you posted, that's a nice detail. I have a pair of Clippinger dealer plate frames but they're to go on my car, which also came from that dealer. Crazy prices on them nowadays, but I guess not too many left.
Does the car still have it's original jack in the trunk?

Yes it has the endura jack hook in the trunk, looks kinda archaic to me. The Clippinger Chevrolet license frames are out there, its just that one guy who has 4 of them on ebay who thinks they are gold. (1 just sold for $60 on ebay this week, still a bit high for me).

Gary I wanted to make sure I had the title before posting on here. I was pretty sure it would work out, and the seller and his nephew are very nice guys.( I am going to meet up with the nephew here in the future and swap some parts with him)
Yes a red or off colored interior would have set off the white, but seriously , there is no complaining going on here... :)

*Speaking of which I am looking for many early Z parts, I plan on starting a new thread for Los Angeles cars and the differences observed in parts and assembly . I have been able to make contact with a couple of guys (2) that have early L.A. 69 Z cars, but it would be nice to be able to pool more info than just their cars and mine (3). I have also gotten some useful info from Vinny with his early norwood Z.
Please PM me if you have a lead on early Z cars or parts, so I can better piece together this time frame .

Finally, Thanks everyone for your support. It took all my experience on here with your guys comments and insight on many other cars for me to be able to pull the trigger on this car.  ;)

anything