Author Topic: I NEED HELP!  (Read 6060 times)

whammer31

• View Profile
I NEED HELP!
« on: January 25, 2007, 10:08:09 PM »
Hey guys!  i'm new to the site and was hoping someone could help me with my dilemma.  i have a 97 camaro ss that i bought from florida and brought back home to iowa.  in florida, you dont need to have a front license plate and in iowa you do.  the problem is, there isn't a place to mount a license plate on front end and i've been pulled over 4 times by the same cop and received 2 tickets for no front license plate.  does anyone have any ideas on what i could to make it legal without sacrificing looks?  i'd really appreciate any help or ideas.  Thanks!

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
Re: I NEED HELP!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 10:38:39 PM »
Had the same problem with my daily driver, my '95 Z28.  In Louisiana I didn't need the front plate, in Nevada I do.  Originally my '95 Z came with the front license plate bracket off of the car.  The dealer just put it in the trunk.  Fortunately I kept it and when I moved to Nevada in 2001, I installed it.

You should be able to order one at the parts counter of the local Chevy dealership (or go to a junkyard).  If your car never has had one mounted, you will have to drill 2 holes (as I recall) in the facia for the bracket mounting hardware.

Not a bigggie.

On a side note.  Here in Nevada, although the front plate is required, on my '69 RS I have never installed the front NV plate - it is in the trunk.  I still have the Chevrolet USA-1 plate that I've always had on the car.  Here they are very understanding and the sherrif or state troopers have never questioned me about it.  However, I have been warned to not cross the state line into California without my front NV plate installed.  Apparently the CA enforcement agencies read fromt he same playbook as the folks in IA.

And welcome to the site - hope you enjoy it.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 10:48:16 PM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

KevinK

• View Profile
    • Hudson Valley Camaro
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 10:43:10 PM »
 First, ...Welcome to the CRG site...
   Bottom line (especially if you're being 'watched') it appears you're going to have to mount the front plate. Short of getting the factory plate bracket (which you could through GM), ...but it sounds you don't want to go that route....
  SLP does make (or did, ...implying past tense) a front plate bracket (SLP PN# 59388, "Bracket, 1993-02 Camaro License Plate"  that mounts to the 'chin' of the front nose of the car. It's probably the only way to "legally" meet the state's requirement of 'properly displaying a front plate. This bracket will allow you to mount the plate without hindering the grill area.
  I've seen others actually mount the plate directly to the front air-dam, ...but honestly I don't know how they got away with it.
  Give SLP a call... (732) 349-2109, ...or check http://www.slponline.com  The bracket is only about $20, ...you may as well order it. Maybe even consider keeping a copy of your order WITH your car until is shows up, ...just in case you get pulled over again, ...you'll at least be able to show due dilligence in correcting the situation...

...best of luck with it...

Kevin

« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 10:44:50 PM by KevinK »

cfar

• L30/M35 Tuxedo Black
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 04:06:37 AM »
Ask if they would accept it in the front winshield like a inspection sticker.
Just a thought
11C 1967 - Born on date estimated Nov 15th,1967 LA Plant
In Service Jan 18th, 1968  Hollywood CA

whammer31

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 03:58:40 PM »
thanks for the quick responses guys!  i was trying to not have to drill holes into my car but it sounds like that's the only way i'm going to be able to do it.  the bracket is on its way!  thanks so much!