Author Topic: D90 Stripes  (Read 4548 times)

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
D90 Stripes
« on: January 28, 2007, 06:12:01 PM »
I'm in the process of a restoration on a 69 SS coupe.  It is a Fathom Green car witha dark green interior.  Sometime over the years it was repainted (poorly) and if it had stripes on it at all they were removed.  We're at the stage of conversation where the body shop wants to know if I'm adding the stripes.  My question is was the D90 (hockey sticks) stripe painted on from the factory if ordered with stripes or was it a stick-on the dealer did before delivery.  Also what would be the color of the stripes.  I'm thinking they'd be white or was there a color option? ???
Thanks, Joe

The photo is from a year ago... The sheetmetal is now fixed.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 06:20:59 PM by Bjv69ss »
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: D90 Stripes
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 07:01:13 PM »
The D90 stripe was done at the assembly plant.  The fender is painted and the door stripe was a decal.  John Z can probably explain in greater detail if you need more info, Fathom green cars would receive white stripes.  Correct stripe kits are available at Rick's !st Gen and other Camaro dealers.

Jerry

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 07:20:23 PM »
Jerry, thanks for the reply.  I had read that on a question about a 67 but never thought it would be the same for a 69.  They must have put the doors on after the fact.   I take it the stripe was a option then?
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 08:19:21 PM »
Was part of the SS package.

J

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 05:02:17 PM »
Jerry, thanks for the reply.  I had read that on a question about a 67 but never thought it would be the same for a 69.  They must have put the doors on after the fact.   I take it the stripe was a option then?

The D90 stripe was painted on the Chevrolet front sheet metal in Chevrolet's Paint Shop, and the tail piece on the door was a decal, installed on the Final Line, after the hood and fenders were installed and fitted. If Fisher Body had painted the tail piece on the door, it's unlikely that it would have aligned correctly with its mating stripe on the Chevrolet-painted fender - that's why it was a decal.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG