Author Topic: 1969 Cowl Induction  (Read 2926 times)

marriest

• 1969 Camaro Pace Car, 396 cu / 325 hp, #matching
    • View Profile
1969 Cowl Induction
« on: March 19, 2017, 10:30:25 AM »
I have the cowl induction system on the hood of my car but it does not work. Is there a diagram of parts and location of components. I do not understand what triggers it to open or where it might be located. I have the relay on firewall and tan and pink wires hanging by fuse box. What am I missing? Where should the accelerator sensing switch be? Factory Assembly manual is not helping. UPC - ZL 2, pg A2,A4,A5
Thanks
Terry
Terry

ZLP955

• View Profile
Re: 1969 Cowl Induction
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 12:21:54 PM »
You should have a switch mounted on the throttle arm/lever, inside the engine compartment, a relay on the firewall on the passenger side, and a solenoid attached to the flapper valve at the opening in the back of the cowl hood. Switch on the throttle lever should only be activated at wide-open throttle, which then actuates the solenoid via the relay to open the flapper valve. Wiring harness should run from the firewall just above the fuse block to the throttle lever switch, and also through the firewall wiring gutter to the relay and flapper solenoid.
Can you post a picture of what you have?
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 03:19:53 PM »
A common system failure point is the switch on the throttle arm. The clip falls out.

On retrofits, excess paint on the solenoid mounting bracket-won't ground.
Learning more and more about less and less...

marriest

• 1969 Camaro Pace Car, 396 cu / 325 hp, #matching
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 09:24:25 AM »
I think I have discovered where all the parts are, switch is really hidden, I will power it up at fuse block and see what happens.
Thanks for the help!
Terry
Terry