Author Topic: Filling small holes with lead or new combo metal rods  (Read 4528 times)

nlpirr

• View Profile
Filling small holes with lead or new combo metal rods
« on: January 21, 2007, 02:18:48 AM »
All,

I need to fill in several small holes around my drip channels , corners of the trunk drip channel ect. ect.

I really dont think I need any welding done to replace the sheet metel. I was going to attemp to do some simple metal work using the new metal rods available that are "supposed" to be easier to use than lead. Available by Eastwood.

has anyone ever done this type of metal work to fill in holes and any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Nick p.

mrdetails

• View Profile
Re: Filling small holes with lead or new combo metal rods
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 09:21:43 PM »
Filling holes with this stuff will require a build-up of material. You may want to  contact a local body shop or welder in your area. Some guys have portable equiptment and will come to your place. MIG welders are very good for this. My body guy puts a piece of copper behind holes and then welds them up. The weld won't stick to the copper. When finished grinding you can't tell anything was done.
Good Luck
Sam

nlpirr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 06:31:05 PM »
Sam,

I was thinking the exact same thing and I was going to purchase a welder. figured I can use it to do other stuff. BUT I get confused between MIG, MIG-flux core and all the other stuff.

I priced a flux core for under 300 and MIG for over 300 bucks but I see advertising for a MIG-Flux core thats cheap also??

whats the deal with a real MIG or a flux core/ MIG??

thanks

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 05:18:09 PM »
MIG (micro wire inert gas) welders use gas (carbon dioxide or argon) to shield the moltin metal pool from the oxygen(and other contaminents) in the air, thus preventing slage formation. Flux core welders use the flux in the core (sometimes borax) to do the same job. I would imagine the MIG-flux can do it both ways. Sometimes the less you pay for something the worse it works. I would get a good one as youl'l have it your whole life. I perfer the MIG myself but thats just me.
Good luck
Sam

anything