Author Topic: Anywhere to buy a really really offset manual shifter?  (Read 4700 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
Anywhere to buy a really really offset manual shifter?
« on: March 07, 2017, 12:36:39 AM »
Hey guys,

I have a 69 Camaro that I would like to put in a console from another car.  However, my shifter is a little to far forward and to the left.  So, that would mean I would like to bring the shifter down about an inch or so, and to the right about an inch or so.   Are there any companies that sell custom off set shifters? 

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: Anywhere to buy a really really offset manual shifter?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 01:31:43 AM »
Sounds like something you will have to fabricate or have fabricated if you don't have the skill set. :)

Paul

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 12:00:51 PM »
You might have a 68 shifter. They mount with U bolts and come through different. My Z with no console, the shifter hit the repaired tunnel when I installed the 69 shifter.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 06:39:00 AM »
I have built custom shifter sticks before by cutting and welding the stick to get the correct offset.

If you don't have welding equipment, you may be able to make the custom stick out of cardboard to get the fit and length correct then have it duplicated using the steel stick

A round stick can be heated and bent but you probably don't want to do that with an original round chrome stick

Also check the Hurst catalog , they have many sticks listed with drawings and dimensions

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 03:40:19 AM »
I was thinking of your idea of having two shifters chopped up to make one that will work for my situation.  They are aftermarket TKO shifters, so no big deal on chopping them up.  I lined them up and if I could get someone to weld the base of my shifter (the rectangle with two holes), onto the base of my spare shifter at the 5 o'clock position, it would work very nicely.  I have a small mig welder, but this being a shifter and my serious lack of ability to do real welding that I trust to this degree, I feel I will have to find a welder who can do this for me. 

I guess I can chop up my spare shifter, use the base and attach it to the shifter I want to use, zip tie it in place, and find a welder, that can make them one piece, it will work.  I need about an inch down, and an inch toward the passenger side, and I will be where I need it.

Thanks for the suggestion. 

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 05:28:54 PM »
HERE'S another option.

Ed

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 01:15:28 PM »
Suggestion - Chop up your spare shifter, fab and MIG tack weld yourself to be sure its right where you want it - then take it to a pro welder to finish it.

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 04:55:53 PM »
In 1986 when I blew up the Borg Warner Super T10 in my Trans Am, I replaced it with an M22.

I made a 1 inch offset bracket that bolted to both the shifter handle and the shifter. Bracket was made from a piece of 1/4" x 1" x 2.5" steel.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 02:04:57 PM »
I don't think that lever modification on that homebuilt blog will work very well as I don't think they will hold up.

The Hurst levers are heat treated to make the slots more durable and even then, after many years of use, the slots can get pretty worn and out of shape.

Hurst did not use shorter levers on their short throw Street Super Shifter or on the competition Super Shifter.
They used the HD trans levers - same length as the standard levers. They used straight rods and a HD mount plate that located the shifter body up higher to allow use of the straight rods.  The High mounted Super Shifter body used an 8 in chrome lever. The travel of the 8in chrome lever vs the 12in Camaro lever gave the shorter throws

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 02:22:14 PM »
I don't think that lever modification on that homebuilt blog will work very well as I don't think they will hold up.

I wrote that article 30 years ago and as of yet I've never had any issues. I've been making this mod on ALL my cars for the last 50 years and as long as you don't beat on it, you'll be fine.

Ed

anything