Author Topic: Cardone IROC steering box (pn 276550) ???  (Read 3703 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Cardone IROC steering box (pn 276550) ???
« on: February 26, 2017, 02:22:05 AM »
I have a '68 with power steering and have read countless threads about converting to an IROC Z steering box for faster ratio turning and a firmer feel. People rave about these boxes and the improvement it will make to your steering. I have read numerous threads also about using the Cardone remanufactured box made for the IROC Z. Cardone's part number 276550. The ratio of these boxes is supposed to be 12.7:1.

I Googled Cardone and the part number and it showed up in stock at the local Advance Auto Parts store so I picked one up. I checked the ratio of the box to be sure it was 12.7:1 and was surprised that it turned out to be 15.1:1.

I returned it and picked up another one from a different Advance Auto. I checked the ratio on this one checked out to be about 14.4. Neither of them near the advertised 12.7:1.

So I am wondering what gives here?........Do I have the wrong box?.......Is Cardone just throwing any gear ratio in these boxes?......Does anyone else double check their ratio before installing one of these?

Another thing I am annoyed at on these boxes is the sloppy paint job on them. Absolutely awful! I don't expect show quality any means but it looks like these were completely assembled including the plugs in the ports and then the entire unit bathed in black paint. The splines of the input and output shafts are clogged with paint. Both boxes must have been boxed before the paint was dry because the paper lining the box it came in was stuck to the steering box. When you tried to pull it off, the paper ripped and fragments stuck to the steering box. The paint is still soft on them and I could scrape fragments off with my fingernail. Nothing that can't fixed but if I was making them, I would be embarrassed to send something out looking like that.

Dave

JKZ27

• View Profile
Re: Cardone IROC steering box (pn 276550) ???
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 01:52:47 PM »
Yup Dave, they're kinda like a (steering) box of chocolates. Rebuilders don't know or care as each part number likely only has to meet certain criteria. I knew this when I got my ACDelco "IROC" box. It turned out to be 3 turns stop to stop on the box and about 2 turns lock to lock in the car. Way fast enough for me. But, though I wanted a fast ratio, my priority was the stiffer valve which this gear certainly has. The paint is disappointing but 99% of end user customers don't know or care how a part looks. I spent about 2-3 hours cleaning mine with solvent and it came out nice.
Truth is it sounds like you may be happier sending your OE box out for rebuild and upgraded valving to avoid the line and column adapters and overall difference in appearance.
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
Re: Cardone IROC steering box (pn 276550) ???
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 01:56:38 AM »

Truth is it sounds like you may be happier sending your OE box out for rebuild and upgraded valving to avoid the line and column adapters and overall difference in appearance.
[/quote]

I have a 68 Z2/8 and the manual box is sloppy and I would like to find either someone who could adjust it up properly (it can be done apparently - but from what I have heard if not done correctly it will either ruin it or be worse than ever) or rebuild it back to original condition..
Any idea of who would be the best to approach to do this - preferably as close to Ontario Canada or in it, as possible for shipping purposes.. and possibly given a worst case scenario, what a complete rebuild might cost as an estimate?
Thanks - Randy..
I would entertain the idea of a Cardone-type replacement since numbers aren't super important to me as I would keep the original anyway - but I haven't noted any that are non-power versions.