Author Topic: Glass replacement and decoding  (Read 2037 times)

Gary Freeland

• View Profile
Glass replacement and decoding
« on: February 18, 2017, 06:12:43 PM »
In the final stages of my restoration and am down to installing front and back glass.  My concern is that I have the original glass, front has a small lamination bubble at bottom and the rear has a few scratches, should I replace IE - is it smarter to have correct that came in the car with a couple of blemishes vers replacement?   I guess the question is the replacement glass as good as original?   I'll work on photos to attach.

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
Re: Glass replacement and decoding
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 04:40:27 AM »
Replacement dated glass is available. I understand there has been problems with the curvature of repro rear windows.
To answer your question of OE vs. replacement. If you plan on driving and enjoying your car I would go with new glass. If being a purist and having your car judged as original and you are just plain bothered by the idea of replacing original parts, then dont replace.
It is very subjective and no clear answer. If it is an April car, I think I have a whole new tinted set?
I just want to add, I go to cruise ins toward the city. I am driving West right into the sun. An old glass really has a lot of glare and looks sand blasted. I don't care for that.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13