Author Topic: Brake/Fuel line clip installation ???  (Read 3418 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Brake/Fuel line clip installation ???
« on: February 13, 2017, 09:34:27 PM »
Needing some guidance on how to properly seat this style of brake and fuel line clip.

The first question I have is how tight to the frame should they be after being seated? Should they be pressed tight against the frame or have some clearance? ......If they are supposed to be pressed tight against the frame, should you still be able to rotate them?

Second question is what do you use to expand the rivet head so that they hold tight in place?

To experiment, I drilled a hole in a piece of scrap metal that is the same thickness as the frame and made the hole the same diameter as the mounting hole for these clips. I put a used clip in the hole and them hammered a rod (same diameter as the inside diameter of the rivet) with a rounded head into it trying to mushroom the rivet on the backside of the hole.......What you see in the second picture was the best I could do. Not tight at all. Very, very loose!

Any suggestions ???

Thanks......Dave

68camaroz28

• View Profile
Re: Brake/Fuel line clip installation ???
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 12:53:36 AM »
Dave, gave you this similar response on Team Camaro.
http://www.camaros.net/forums/34-restoration-corner/422186-brake-fuel-line-clip-installation.html
Make sure the clip is pushed down flat and then with tapered drive pin/punch smack it in hole. Takes another set of hands to keep the clip pushed flat while someone else is using tapered pin.
Make sure you have the clip oriented correctly as you notice one end is for brake lines and the other for fuel lines.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: Brake/Fuel line clip installation ???
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 04:35:05 AM »
I used a tapered shaft nail punch to set the rivets tight.
All the fuel and brake line clips on my 67's were phosphate, none painted.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored