Author Topic: Camaro Rear End Axle housing bumper  (Read 9348 times)

marriest

• 1969 Camaro Pace Car, 396 cu / 325 hp, #matching
    • View Profile
Camaro Rear End Axle housing bumper
« on: February 07, 2017, 04:25:12 PM »
I have a 1969 Camaro PC 396 and am looking to find the rear axle bumper or what one looks like.

On the body of the car above the rear universal is a rectangular hole with a hole on each side.

I bottom out from time to time and this might help. I may also have to install air shocks.

Terry
Terry

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Camaro Rear End Axle housing bumper
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 04:41:24 PM »
The axle bumper is shown in the AIM (UPC 4, sheet B3, item #12), and most of the major vendors carry it. HERE'S the Classic Industries part.

But if you're bottoming out, the air shocks would only be a stop gap fix to your real problem, which would probably be the springs. If they're original, then you can have them re-arched.

Ed

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 04:41:36 PM »
Pinion snubber

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1968-Camaro-Firebird-Rear-axle-pinion-snubber-/331537966515

But Ed is correct..  You have other problems than a missing snubber.

marriest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 04:50:52 PM »
That is the one I keep seeing but it does not have mounting flange. I have tried NPD and SS 396 and still not like the pic in assembly manual.

Terry
Terry

marriest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 04:56:41 PM »
I am in Florida, Bonita Springs, any recommendations as who to see about rebuilding leaf springs?
Terry
Terry

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 05:11:30 PM »
That is the one I keep seeing but it does not have mounting flange. I have tried NPD and SS 396 and still not like the pic in assembly manual.

If you're missing the support, it's part of the floor assembly and was never serviced separately. I don't believe it's even being reproduced so you'll have to find a used one and weld it back on.

I am in Florida, Bonita Springs, any recommendations as who to see about rebuilding leaf springs?

Google spring re-arch and see if any hits come up in your area. I believe EATON SPRINGS still does re-arching, but they're in Detroit. I'm sure there are probably others closer to you.

Ed

marriest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 07:54:04 PM »
 This is what it looks like now.
Am I missing more than I think?

Terry
Terry

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 08:02:03 PM »
Your picture is way too small to make out any detail, but you should have the support as shown in the AIM (see below)

If you don't, jump over to the TEAM CAMARO site and post a wanted ad under the Classifieds. I'd be willing to bet someone has a floor they can steal the part from for you.

Ed

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 09:55:53 AM »
Read this: http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=10573.0;all
There were two types of production rubber snubber, so your description of a rectangular hole with a hole each side suggests that either type (whatever you can find reproduction) should fit. The thread in the link above has pictures that may clarify, like Hans' picture, second last post.
Not going to disagree with previous advice, but to my way of thinking, if GM put a snubber there from the factory to prevent the rear end bottoming out, and yours is missing, I think an occasional bottoming out is to be expected, not necessarily a sign the springs are sagging.
But the AIM has ride height dimensions, so you could check that way if the car sits too low.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 04:23:59 PM »
Read this: http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=10573.0;all
Not going to disagree with previous advice, but to my way of thinking, if GM put a snubber there from the factory to prevent the rear end bottoming out, and yours is missing, I think an occasional bottoming out is to be expected, not necessarily a sign the springs are sagging.
But the AIM has ride height dimensions, so you could check that way if the car sits too low.
Now, I see it just the opposite. I would think successive bottoming out and hitting that bumper is why it is now missing, having been jarred or broke lose and lying on the side of a road somewhere?
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 08:22:33 PM »
That's certainly a possibility.
Terry, can you clarify how often this happens, as 'from time to time' sounded occasional rather than regular to me. Has the car been restored in the past (perhaps by a previous owner - minor parts such as rubber bump stops seem to be overlooked in quite a few restorations) and are the other rubber items on the car in good condition, or cracked/dry rotted, which could lead to them falling off?
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

marriest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 10:09:26 AM »
I installed new Eaton Springs and spiral shocks. This helped with bottoming out but still not able to install rubber snubber. I have even tried to file down the wedge to force it into the hole but to no avail.
Stumped
Terry

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 11:30:38 AM »
I installed new Eaton Springs and spiral shocks. This helped with bottoming out but still not able to install rubber snubber. I have even tried to file down the wedge to force it into the hole but to no avail.
Stumped
Lube it up! Use Vaseline or something. Get one side lip in the hole, in position, and use a large flat head screwdriver starting on the end of the side not in position and start pushing and working it into the hole.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

marriest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 02:03:06 PM »
The rectangular hole has rolled over edges, something is just not right and why the 2 unthreaded holes on each side?
Terry