Author Topic: Chrome Mylar Gauge Housing Trim  (Read 6708 times)

jeff68

• View Profile
Chrome Mylar Gauge Housing Trim
« on: January 19, 2007, 06:58:15 PM »
Well, I decided to try the chrome mylar gauge housing/carrier trim stickers.  In the past I tried close-to-chrome paint, but that didn't look too good.  I also bought a 'correctly restored' gauge housing that had the heat stamped chrome like the original, but the quality was very poor.  So, I restored my gauge housing and applied the chrome mylar stickers purchased from Rick's.

Installation was a little tedious, since you need to make sure to properly align these little beauties.  They don't have much 'give' to them at all, so the positioning needs to be spot-on.  I removed several very small pieces of the backing to allow for repositioning the trim.  When they were in the right spot, I removed the backing in larger sections and pressed them into place.

They look good.  I'm very happy with the way they fit & look.

Here is a picture of the finished product:

68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17

jeff68

• View Profile
Re: Chrome Mylar Gauge Housing Trim
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 06:58:53 PM »
...and one more photo:

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 08:52:01 PM »
....very nice - looks good!
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

Daniel Cate

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 06:42:09 AM »
They look really nice. I tried a set of mylars from a different "vendor". Probably not as good as quality as they were actually a little too wide and no matter how I positioned them, they hung off the side edges a little bit somewhere. I gave up and had a local pinstriper do mine in shiny silver paint and they look really good. But still not the same as heat stamped when you look close. Great job, Dan

jeff68

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 01:09:52 PM »
It's funny that you mention them being too wide.  Mine fit perfect around the outside, but they hang over the inside very slightly in a few spots.  You can't notice it unless you are about 2 inches from the housing, that's how slight it is.  I will have to wait to see how they hold up long term.  I'll need to be careful not to catch en edge when cleaning/dusting the dash.

Good advice on using a pinstriper.  Now that you mention it, I may have my console gauge housing chrome trim done that way.

-Jeff

Daniel Cate

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 07:54:01 PM »
Funny you should mention the console guage surround. I had him do that too plus the black in the middle of the deluxe dash pad stainless and two of the console guage faces where the yellow had faded. All my pieces were original GM so I didn't want to change them. My guy did a great job of matching the factory colors including the fluorescent guage needles too. Good luck, Dan

anything