Author Topic: Caveat Emptor...another repro window sticker  (Read 12604 times)

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Caveat Emptor...another repro window sticker
« on: January 31, 2017, 03:55:44 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Chevrolet-Camaro-/322407746041?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4b10ffc9f9:g:70UAAOSwA3dYj50k&item=322407746041

Ad states: "Original Window Sticker included!"

VIN is 124379L502362; built in Van Nuys CA and shipped 2,800 miles to NY. Charge was $49. Might have made more sense to build it at Norwood, 677 miles from the dealer but what do I know. Couldn't even list the option codes in alphabetical order.
Learning more and more about less and less...

x77-69z28

• View Profile
Re: Caveat Emptor...another repro window sticker
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 06:17:48 AM »
Yeah, I wonder how many Van Nuys built camaros were sold new on Long Island
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 12:07:50 PM »
 Pape is still in business. The family used to be big in sports cars and racing. Not sure if they do today. Still, I wonder if they have original records for this car to prove otherwise.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 02:36:48 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Chevrolet-Camaro-/322407746041?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4b10ffc9f9:g:70UAAOSwA3dYj50k&item=322407746041

Ad states: "Original Window Sticker included!"

VIN is 124379L502362; built in Van Nuys CA and shipped 2,800 miles to NY. Charge was $49. Might have made more sense to build it at Norwood, 677 miles from the dealer but what do I know. Couldn't even list the option codes in alphabetical order.

I've always wondered if there was some sort of percentage breakdown of this because it does seem like an odd thing to do.

Mine is a Norwood car but best I can tell was sold new here in AZ.   Strange when Van Nuys is so close.

My Formula was built in Van Nuys and sold right up the coast in San Fran.  Makes more sense to me.

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 10:46:27 PM »
I asked a question about the assembly plant origin versus the final destination here a while ago (http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=13592), didn't find an answer but several members have cars that didn't originate at the plant nearest their location too.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

Boston14

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 02:12:19 AM »
Here is yet another car with U17 and the rare clock delete option. I believe the assembly plants must have run out of clocks at various times during production............... ??? You think????? NOT!!
boston14

1969 SS/RS 350 Convertible
Dover White with Black Top and D90 stripe, Red Standard Interior

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 02:28:20 AM »
I asked a question about the assembly plant origin versus the final destination here a while ago (http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=13592), didn't find an answer but several members have cars that didn't originate at the plant nearest their location too.

Sounds like it happened occasionally then.    I can understand the Norwood cars being spread out because that plant produced the majority of production.  Van Nuys on the other hand doesn't seem as plausible for that reason, but I guess they did.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 02:33:27 AM »
Here is yet another car with U17 and the rare clock delete option. I believe the assembly plants must have run out of clocks at various times during production............... ??? You think????? NOT!!

I see that little hiccup A LOT in these "restored" cars,  but I saw a 69 the other day that appeared to be largely unmolested, and it had a setup I don't remember seeing before.  Console, no gauges, no tach, but it had the clock.   Go figure.  Just a speedo, clock and fuel gauge in the dash.

I'm guessing in this instance the clock could be ordered separate...?   I haven't seen cars restored like this before so it caught my eye.  Thought it was rather unusual to see.

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 02:42:40 AM »
It's tough to say.

Probably pretty rare for a LOS car to be delivered to the east coast. Can't say it NEVER happened but maybe a case of a service person ordering it on the west coast and then ending being transferred to the east coast before delivery?

On options, tough to prove what is original without docs. A lot of things have been added to cars over time. Might have been pulled from another car that was wrecked early? Lots of restorations were done in the 80s and without extremely close examination, can sometimes be hard to tell from original - because original parts could have been used. And lacquer paint was still readily available.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 03:58:52 AM »

I see that little hiccup A LOT in these "restored" cars,  but I saw a 69 the other day that appeared to be largely unmolested, and it had a setup I don't remember seeing before.  Console, no gauges, no tach, but it had the clock.   Go figure.  Just a speedo, clock and fuel gauge in the dash.

I'm guessing in this instance the clock could be ordered separate...?   I haven't seen cars restored like this before so it caught my eye.  Thought it was rather unusual to see.

A clock [U35] was optional on any '69 not ordered with U16 or U17. Not rare, 20,330 built. Regardless of what you see on ebay a clock was included with Special Instrumentation. Often, the dash housing is replaced and the clock left out.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 01:18:22 PM »

A clock [U35] was optional on any '69 not ordered with U16 or U17. Not rare, 20,330 built. Regardless of what you see on ebay a clock was included with Special Instrumentation. Often, the dash housing is replaced and the clock left out.

Cool, so what I saw was legit.  I had a feeling it was. Not rare in a production sense but rarely seen this way now.   Funny how you just never see them restored that way today. 

Z28Project

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 10:26:10 PM »
The thing that bugs me on this is that the more this stuff goes on the more it will be accepted as correct by the uninformed masses.  The missing clock with U17 and the thing I'm seeing more and more is the unpainted perimeter on the front grill.  I hate that look!
John

69 Z/28 NOR 12B X33 H.O. 'Ex-Racer'

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 10:41:51 PM »
I here ya John.  I think it comes with the territory.  We have what is probably the most copied car in existence.

Funny thing about that U17 deal.  I almost always see the console gauges and tach without the clock.  Like 90% of the 69's I look at.
  Yet the one I saw the other day with speedo/clock/fuel in the dash and no gauges is fairly common as William posted, however I've seen only that one in my lifetime that I can remember, lol.
  I've seen more of the speedo/fuel/tach combo in the dash (no console gauges) than I have of the clock deal above and this center fuel setup is supposed to be like hens teeth.  Go figure.
These cars are so messed with and full of all kinds of stuff anymore it really makes you start to appreciate the original unrestored stuff that is commanding decent money these days.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 12:02:03 AM »
In his book "On a Clear Day You Can See General Motors" John De Lorean used the '69 Camaro dash cluster as an example of how out of control Chevy had become.

"At one time there were an unbelievable 2,720 possible alternatives for Camaro dashboards."

I have been able to duplicate that number. It may be technically correct but assumed everything was available without exception. For example the COPO 140 mph speedo was n/a with U17 Special Instrumentation. But, there were combos you may never see such as a 140 speedo with U16 and a column-shift TH400. The actual number is probably 1,880.

There were 5 colors, 4 possible speedometers, 4 possible tachometers plus the other options. Give it a shot some cold winter day.

HOT3O2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 12:07:29 AM »
Would the plastic dash be different for one with a clock verses one without a clock? In other words were there two different dashes depending if you had a clock or not?
Rick
69 RS/Z28