Author Topic: Brake line fitment on master cylinder, dist. block, prop. valve ???  (Read 4779 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
I am trying to install the three short brake lines that connect the master cylinder, distribution block, and proportioning valve and having problems with two of them.

The brake lines are new pieces from Inline Tube. The master cylinder is a new correct 5460346 casting......and all of the other parts are originals that came down the assembly line with this car (The brake booster and the distribution block, proportioning valve, and their brackets.)

The fitment of the brake line that goes from the rear port of the master cylinder to the rear of the distribution block is close. It needs a little tweaking but I think it will go in OK.

The two brake lines however, coming from the proportioning valve and going to the front port of the master cylinder and the side of the distribution block are not even close. With one end of these two lines fixed in place, the other ends are off by an inch and an inch and a half.....This is my first time installing a new set of these lines so I don't know what to expect. Being off that far seems very excessive for lines that short

So my question is......could it be normal for these lines to be off this far and you just have to bend them to make them fit....or do I just have some lines that are bent wrong?

Thanks.....Dave

Danzo

• View Profile
Re: Brake line fitment on master cylinder, dist. block, prop. valve ???
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 12:36:56 AM »
It looks like they need to be "tweaked" a little. Most of the time this happens from being tossed around ie:shipping, packaging, etc. Don't be afraid to reshape the line and all should be fine.

Doc.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 12:46:19 AM »
Mine needed some 'tweaking' to get them in.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 04:31:44 AM »
Doc and Mike I agree they need to be tweaked but that one is not correct and off way too much IMO. I'd contact them Dave and talk to a representative who I'm sure would help. They have always been good to talk to at Carlisle events. They normally have some of the best fitting lines.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 05:01:49 AM »
Yes, this seems beyond tweaking to me

I already sent an e-mail off to Inline Tube tonight with pictures attached. Hopefully, I'll hear something back from them tomorrow.

And by the way, the original old rusty lines will fit.

Dave

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 11:22:47 AM »
Yes, this seems beyond tweaking to me

I already sent an e-mail off to Inline Tube tonight with pictures attached. Hopefully, I'll hear something back from them tomorrow.

And by the way, the original old rusty lines will fit.

Dave
What might be beneficial is to send a picture of your original and their product side by side for comparison.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 12:29:07 PM »
Can your proportioning valve be moved? It looks cocked outward, it needs to be more in line with center line of MC.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 01:44:27 PM »
Looks like they will go in with a little effort if you leave all the lines loose and components loose. It would not take much to burp lines if needed using your tubing bender or by hand. I'd try to install them before asking for replacement lines. If you want lines that will effortlessly fall into place you'll have to have them ship new ones that exactly fit the way you have the assembly bolted together.

That is hold-off/metering valve, not a proportioning valve.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 01:59:19 PM »
 The position of the valve looks about right. I attached a pic of my setup using Inline pipes. I remember leaving the valve loose (no bolt)and attaching the pipes to the M/C only slightly finger snug, then using just a little effort, position the valve body to get the bolt screwed on. Then I installed the rear brake pipe last. I have another new set (never installed) in my hands at the moment and the shape looks exactly like yours.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 06:38:47 PM »
Well, I got brave. I loosened components and started pulling, pushing, and bending on the lines......and got them to fit!

It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. This is actually my first time installing new hard brake lines and I didn't know how much lines that were this short could be manipulated.

I haven't heard back from Inline Tube yet. I am still curious as to what they will say. I'm not convinced that lines that are only 7 or 8 inches long to begin with and are missing their connection point by an inch and half could be formed right.

By the way, the hold off/metering valve cannot be rotated down any further than it is. There is a tab on it's mounting bracket the that catches on the edge of the master cylinder that prevents it from moving any further.

Thanks for all the responses,

Dave