Go to full version

Camaro Research Group Discussion > Originality

Original Born with Battery Trays LOS NOR

(1/11) > >>

68camaroz28:
Subject- Original born with Battery Trays found on 67-69 Camaro’s from LOS & NOR.
Realize many CRG members spend time on other Camaro websites but not everybody and thought this was a worthwhile subject to make sure it is documented and hopefully placed in the “Pictures and information of original details” section. Information on how this subject matter came up from MCACN show can be found in my build thread:
http://www.camaros.net/forums/133-build-projects/182584-time-another-68-z-28-restored-85.html
Special thank you to Steve who was able to show me examples of what is normally observed while inspecting original survivor type Camaro’s in Vintage Certification. Examining what is unique to original born with compared to GM service replacements include some things that can be seen and some not when installed.
Most noticeable is a tab where the battery hold down clamp bolts on. Please note I have not seen this tab on any service replacement battery tray to date and have observed some old ones on ebay for sale. A few examples including one Steve posted-

Darrell’s 03D 68 NOR L78

Danny’s 05E 68 NOR Z/28

Jerry’s 07C 68 NOR Z/28

Skip’s 07D 68 NOR Z/28

Steve showed this 01C 69 LOS

06A 69 by Yenko’s SSL78

Skip’s 09D 69 NOR Z/28

Now compare that tab area to this NOS service replacement. Different design!

The service replacements have the nuts used to bolt the tray in place from the bottom oriented straight. On every original born with tray so far each of the two nuts are oriented the same but each one is oriented differently from the other (see 01C 69 for good view).  Look at the tab of the examples and note how each one’s tab tapers from one end to the other.
Can anyone add to this? Here is a simple chart of examples which includes Jon's 67 low mileage take off which has correct oriented nuts.
67               Jon’s 1100 mile take off-No Tab- Has angled nuts
67 11A LOS Has tab but not as pronounced as many. Robert
68 03D NOR Has tab Darrell
68 05E LOS Has tab Danny
68 06A NOR Has tab DaveV
68 07C NOR Has tab JerryG
68 07D NOR Has tab Skip
69        LOS  Has tab Mike1971
69        NOR Has tab Mike1971
69 11A NOR No tab Has angled nuts & orig. battery hold down clamp. Noyenko
69               Has tab but not as pronounced as many. Noyenko
69 01C NOR Has tab Jude
69 02D NOR Has tab SteveS
69 03B NOR Has tab SteveS
69 09A NOR Has tab (late built) Robert
69 09D NOR Has tab (late built) Skip

68camaroz28:
This old Gen II battery tray has a small tab also it seems.

BULLITT65:
08C (late 69) Norwood has the tab.  :)

janobyte:
I'II reply with pics Friday, swamped this week.

Pacecar:
Original trays with the tab and also the original style hold downs are a judged standard in Legends

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page