Author Topic: 1969 Camaro trim tag legit?  (Read 4173 times)

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 Camaro trim tag legit?
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2023, 04:40:07 PM »
Most people who want our cars don't care about numbers that match or a certificate.  I've plenty of people who wanted to buy my car at shows / cruises.

Totally agree and I have also had many offers over the years for my lowly NOR 01C base V8 ‘69 RS, especially at “Hot August Nights” in Reno (which I have participated in every year since 2001.)

When I bought my car off of the showroom floor of the Chevy dealership in Baton Rouge, LA in November 1991 (it had been traded in), I was not concerned at all that the original 307 was long gone and that it had a 327 from a ‘64 Impala in it.  The car was solid, it ran, and over the years I went completely through it - mechanicals first, including complete sub-frame removal, engine (replaced the ‘64 Impala engine with a ‘69 327 Camaro engine / Nov ‘68 build), tranny, rear end, cleaning the under body, cleaning, painting, restoring components & sub-assemblies, etc.  Point being that all of the mechanical work was broken down into various sub projects, with one being attacked each winter in the garage & finished by spring so the car was driveable.  The mechanical work was finally wrapped up in 2008.  During that entire time (Nov 1991-2008) my ride was never unavailable to me from Spring to early Fall which allowed me to drive and enjoy it every year when the weather was good.

From Sep 2013 - April 2014 the car was taken down to bare metal and re-painted.

My ride is obviously not original, it has the original Powerglide & 2.73:1 open rear end, and a Nov ‘68 built 327 Camaro engine, but I enjoy it, drive it, and am not overly concerned about originality.  One positive, IMHO, of having a car where non-originality isn’t going to impact value, is the ability to make changes/improvements (some safety related - new wiring harnesses for example).

Bottom line is that undoubtedly most 1st Gen Camaro owners do not own high $$, number matching Z’s, etc but have a car similar to mine which are driven and enjoyed as much (if not more) than any other 1st Gen Camaro .

Richard

Richard Thomas
1969 RS

BULLITT65

• View Profile
Re: 1969 Camaro trim tag legit?
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2023, 05:08:00 PM »
Richard your one of the few owners that doesn't need the ultra praise of having, COPO, SS, Z, for guys to say how cool it is. Your car is awesome to me, and a rare sight these days, when every 1st gen is badged as some special HP version of the car. The issue is all the rebadged cars. Will guys pay up for an original HP car, or will the SS Z COPO tribute cars be more attractive and less guys wanting to get into the can of worms of numbers matching and all.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

anything