Author Topic: steering and front suspension issue  (Read 3530 times)

mike1952

• View Profile
steering and front suspension issue
« on: January 13, 2017, 10:43:02 PM »
68 SS/RS. I basically replaced all suspension components on the car. I also converted the front drums to disc.
Two different alignment shops were unable to get my steering to return properly. Basically almost not at all.
Today decided to try and figure out what is going on. Once the car was on a lift, I realized I could not budge the front wheels right or left. Took the tie rod loose on the driver's side wheel, as well is Pittman arm from the steering box.  You can still hardly turn the driver's side wheel,  just by itself,to the right or left!
Incredibly stiff. No wonder the car's steering won't return.  Does anyone have an idea as to why the steering could be so incredibly stiff?   

Danzo

• View Profile
Re: steering and front suspension issue
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 11:40:27 PM »
Disconnect the left outer tie rod from the knuckle. Try turning the knuckle to the left and right. If everything is stock, check the upper and lower ball joints for binding. Report back.

Doc.

mike1952

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 10:29:18 PM »
Already took the left tie rod loose.  As far as I can tell, the ball joints look to be the only thing that could keep the wheel from turning freely, but the ball joints are new. Obviously they are binding for some reason.
The front brake conversion kit I bought was Street Anchor conversion kit from Camaro Central and included new spindles.  The new ball joints came from Napa. Is there any reason these ball joints shouldn't work with the the new spindles? 

Boston14

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 10:33:23 PM »
I have always said, new means new, new is not necessarily good.  Especially with all the new junk out there today.
boston14

1969 SS/RS 350 Convertible
Dover White with Black Top and D90 stripe, Red Standard Interior

mike1952

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 03:39:52 PM »
Maybe true, but new is better than worn out. I am not a mechanic, but I am  pretty sure about that. Thanks for the response, but your post does not help me.  I wanted to know if it could be anything other than the ball joints.

Boston14

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 05:15:57 PM »
Not if new is bound-up and not functioning as required. Never count out a new part as the problem, learned from experience.
boston14

1969 SS/RS 350 Convertible
Dover White with Black Top and D90 stripe, Red Standard Interior

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 07:10:25 PM »
Ball joint brand, part number ? Could be a wrong part in the right box, too. Sounds like too much preload, or could just be a really rotten part.

Grease fittings, too ?

I always try to use a known brand of ball joints - hard to find USA made anymore, but somebody has got to be manufacturing them nowadays. (I'm lucky to have purchased both GM NOS and TRW joints years ago, I'd better start looking myself).

Regards,
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

anything