Author Topic: 68 ss ID  (Read 6998 times)

jmalara

• View Profile
68 ss ID
« on: December 17, 2016, 11:22:05 PM »
Hi folks

Newbie here. Looking at a car advertised as a 68 ss convertible matching numbers. Sellers says he replaced original 10 bolt with a new 10 bolt rear. Everything else he says seems to check out and I feel pretty well armed with info to inspect based on what I've read on this site. This is the only thing that doesn't seem right on paper. Did the 68 come with an option for a 10 bolt or were all SS cars outfitted with 12 bolts?

Thanks.
J

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: 68 ss ID
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 11:33:10 PM »
All '68 SS came with 12 bolts, no exceptions like in '69.

http://www.camaros.org/suspen.shtml#12-Bolt

Paul

jmalara

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 05:38:30 AM »
Thanks Paul. So when I go look at this car and see the engine stamped with MS code and the speedometer cable coming out of the right side of the column what should I think?  Seller says he replaced10 bolt posi with a new 10 bolt. What would be the definitive factor here. I realize there's no sure thing but somehow I have to decide which things to believe.

Thanks again
J

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 07:13:40 AM »
Is he the original owner?  It could be the "original one" since he's owned the car, but not the factory original.  May just need some clarification on his part, and him not knowing that the 10 bolt he replaced was not the original rear axle from the factory.  Some buyers don't research what they're purchasing, and accept everything the seller tells them as true.  You may want to post up pictures of the other stampings and trim tag etc. if you decide to move forward, so the experts can give their opinion on those items and if it really is a SS that had the original rear end replaced along the way.     

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 02:52:20 PM »
Numbers matching means different things to different people. Some people think matching numbers is correct wording if the casting numbers are right. Obviously not the case.

"Original engine and transmission installed in the car at the vehicle assembly plant" is wording that doesn't leave wiggle room.

As stated in previous posts, if you want to post up pics, we can try to help.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 06:17:35 PM »
J, if the car came from the factory with a 10 bolt, it isn't an original SS.  As for the "MS" code, like Pete and Bryon said, take some good photos of the engine pad and post them here.  It could be a re-stamp.  In '68 the partial VIN was also stamped on the engine pad next to the engine assembly stamp.  This should match the car's VIN.  Also, if possible, get photos of the cowl tag and transmission assembly stamp.  Check and write down the block casting number and block casting date.  Good luck.

Paul   

jmalara

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 01:41:30 AM »
Thanks guys. I'm supposed to get over there and see the car this week. The owner has been saying enough shaky things to make me skeptical but I'll try to get some pics and post.

jmalara

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 08:33:30 PM »
Sorry guys but I haven't been able to get over to see the car yet with the holidays and cold weather here in NY, the owner doesn't want to show it.  He still want to sell it though.

I have been talking to him and here's what I know:

He claims the block and tranny are original and it's an SS.  It's a 10 bolt that he claims the previous owner swapped out the original 10 bolt posi ( I know the SS should be 12 bolt but he could be mistaken about it.

He says the interior has been replaced and the car was repainted white with rally stripes.  None of that scares me if it is a true SS with original block and tranny.  He has the original hood and rally wheels. 

The one thing he has recently mentioned is that there is some rust at the base of the windshield.  I realize that could be a disaster but would you guys consider that a showstopper?

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 10:11:30 PM »
You need to have someone that does restoration work look at the car. Besides the rust at the base of the windshield, the RH fender has droop, fender is misaligned to the valance, and the grille is installed sloppily.  This is an indication of poor craftsmanship. It also has RS blackout with no RS moldings.

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 11:36:30 PM »
Alternator is on the wrong side for 1968, that usually means engine replacement. Also makes it hard to read the engine stamp. Sure looks like it has been hot rodded and very unoriginal.
The fact he thinks a 10 bolt could be a SS makes me think he doesn't know much about the Camaro's.
Ask him the engine numbers and cowl tag numbers before even bothering if you are looking for original.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 11:37:42 PM »
You need to have someone that does restoration work look at the car. Besides the rust at the base of the windshield, the RH fender has droop, fender is misaligned to the valance, and the grille is installed sloppily.  This is an indication of poor craftsmanship. It also has RS blackout with no RS moldings.
X2, as others have mentioned a SS DID not come thru with a 10 bolt so no matter what the owner thinks he has been told incorrect information. Take someone with you that knows restoration/body work/correctness/etc... It may be an OK car but red flags are arising and you need to do your homework. Good luck and welcome aboard!
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

jmalara

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 02:01:14 AM »
Yes, definitely hot rodded.  Here is his description:

"!968 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible SS 350. Real SS Matching numbers car in Excellent Condition. Power Convertible top with new Power-Top motor and Pistons.M-20 Original Manual 4 speed transmission that was recently rebuilt,Hurst shifter. New Brakes, Drums,brake lines,New 10 Bolt rear,.Power Steering. Dual exhaust with Headers.2 Brand New Magnaflow mufflers and New 2 1/2 inch Exhaust pipes that was recently installed with Stainless Steel tips,Sounds Great!I have the Original Rallye Wheels with BF Radial T/A's, Extra Set of 4 New American Racing Thrust Chrome wheels and BF Goodrich Radial TA tires also go with the car I have on now.Many New extra parts. Car was Originally Black,paint job is 15 years old and still looks Very Good. Mint Black Stock Deluxe interior-No Rips,No Cracks! The Original color of this car was Black-Was a Triple Black Camaro!-Black top,black body and black interior! Especially with the Original hood that I will put back on if I have it re-painted. I also have BRAND NEW CHROME HOOD ORNAMENTS for the Hood! Has the Factory Stock Wood Grain 4-Speed Original Center console with The Original SS Steering Wheel which is in Great Condition-No Cracks,Newer Black Convertible top, boot,power top motor and pistons. 350 original rebuilt motor,mild Crane Cam,High rise Edelbrock Aluminum Intake Manifold,New Holly 700 CFM Carb. Runs Excellent with recent tune-up and oil change. New CD Radio with I-Pod connection. No Leaks and is a Rust-Free car and all lights work Perfectly,even Has the Original GM Horn!Always garage kept.Never driven in rain.Comes with an all weather car cover also.119,000 Original miles on the Body since 1968 and 5,000 Miles on the Rebuilt 350 Motor if that. Original block. Selling for 30,000k. Was recently appraised for 35,000.00. Am selling to purchase a home. No tire kickers please or low offers-This is a collector car which will never lose it's value!Many extra parts for this car included! "

So you can see he either doesn't have a clue as to what he's got or is trying to pass it off as a legit matching numbers SS.  I've spoken to him now enough to realize he's a bit of a goof ball but my real question is with all these obvious issues if the car is a real ss with matchinh block and transmission is it worth high $20's.  I've been looking now for a while and these cars are just not available.

Thanks guys for the tips .  More pics attached.

jmalara

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 02:05:20 AM »
more

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 02:30:02 AM »
You need to post the VIN and a picture of the trim tag, along with a high resolution picture of the engine pad and if possible, a picture of the transmission stamp.

Ed