Author Topic: Overspray on A/C bracket?  (Read 6346 times)

McKenzieDave

• View Profile
Overspray on A/C bracket?
« on: January 11, 2007, 06:12:35 PM »
Does anybody know of a more precise engine assembly order than Colvin's "By the numbers".  1969 Flint 327 with A/C rear compressor bracket to intake has orange overspray on it and I'm nearly sure it is original.  Does this mean all of these brackets were installed prior to engine paint?  Come to think of it one of the power steering pump brackets is the same story.  Dave

KevinK

• View Profile
    • Hudson Valley Camaro
Re: Overspray on A/C bracket?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 02:15:12 AM »
...I believe the orange was painted before the brackets were installed, ...not 100% sure.
   I do have a low mileage '67 (327 w/AC) that I can/will check. I'll get out to the garage in the next few days to photo...

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 04:15:22 AM »
I'm pretty sure the engines were shipped (painted orange) from the engine plants without the accessories.  The engine plant wouldnt know which options the car, in which the engine would end up in, would have.  Considering the AIM outlines accessory installation, I would have to think that it was done after the engines were received from the engine plants.

JohnZ and/or others will know for sure.
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 04:37:02 PM »
The engine was "naked" when it was painted, and had no accessory brackets on it of any kind; all accessory drive mounts and brackets were added at the car assembly plant.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

McKenzieDave

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 07:12:26 PM »
So am I correct to assume that any bolt from original engine build that had to be removed would then become a black accessory bolt?  Specifically the two intake bolts that hold the upper A/C bracket?  Dave

KevinK

• View Profile
    • Hudson Valley Camaro
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 01:19:09 AM »
...good question. I still need to follow up and get some photos of my '67.
  You now have my curiousity since the same will hold true for the AIR pump bracket...

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 04:46:29 PM »
If you'll look in the Assembly Manual, if a part number is shown for a particular bracket attaching bolt where an engine plant bolt was originally installed, that means the engine plant-installed (orange) bolt was removed and replaced with a new one. If no part number is shown for the bolt or the illustration says "part of engine assembly", that means the engine plant-installed bolt was removed and re-used.

For the specific application in the first post (rear A/C compressor bracket to intake), a part number is shown for those two bolts, so the engine plant intake bolts were removed, trashed, and replaced with (longer) new bolts.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

McKenzieDave

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 03:54:37 PM »
Thanks John.  It all goes back to paying attention to the book.  Dave

anything