Author Topic: Tall and short electrical junction block  (Read 4150 times)

Mike S

• View Profile
Tall and short electrical junction block
« on: December 19, 2016, 02:12:04 PM »
 While cleaning up the junction block on my 67 convertible I noticed how tall it is when compared to the 67 LOS coupe.
Has anyone seen this taller style before? I did a search on eBay and see only the short style available. I attached an image of the LOS and NOR side by side. I did look in the 67 AIM and in UPC 12/A6 and see a note the drawing was revised to reflect new circuit and cable wire positions but that was late in 8/66. I wonder if the taller block enforces that position? I noticed the wire nut (same on both cars) is not what AMK sells though I know the hardware they do sell is based on the latest (of that time) engineering drawing and that could have been past the 67 model year in this case.
  I'm not losing any sleep over it but was just curious.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

68camaroz28

• View Profile
Re: Tall and short electrical junction block
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 03:39:51 PM »
Mike, I do not recall seeing that type on cars I've looked at nor when I was researching them back several years ago before restoring ours for the 68. Jon may have some insight on that being involved with several LOS 67's.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 09:04:03 PM »
I have not seen the tall junction block like that before on a first-gen Camaro. The '67 Camaro assembly manual shows a single part number of 3882795 for the junction block. My '72 GM parts book shows the same part number for all models of Camaro from '67-69.
Jon Mello
CRG

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 09:14:08 PM »
If you would have told me that was off your LOS car I could see that as a possibility since other cars were assembled there..  Very strange..

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 09:57:26 PM »
 Cool.....it's a 'rare' part  ;)  I should put it on eBay. Naaa....it's been with the car all this time so I'll leave it. It should make an interesting conversation piece. Wonder if it was a design they played with and never used but threw the parts in the bin. The footprint is exactly the same as the short block and has a small symbol at the base. Same hardware too.

Mike

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 02:39:29 AM »
 I did some web browsing and found where this tall block was used, on Chevy trucks from 1967-1972.
Here is a link to a place that sells reproductions of it.
http://www.bowtiebits.com/store/store_product_detail.cfm?Product_ID=4219&Category_ID=5&Sub_Category_ID=100
The one I have has a diamond with a P inside it. It is the same logo as found on the 3877660 thermostat housing on the motor so I know it's a GM part. The question is how it got on the car. It was in the car when I bought it in 1979 and before that it sat for several years after the owner died from bone cancer after returning from Viet Nam. Maybe it was defective (cracked?) and the dealer changed it with one used for a truck. Anyhow, I rummaged through my scrap wiring harnesses in the shed and came across a short style that I may use.

Mike

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 05:27:48 AM »
Thanks for the follow-up info. No telling why it was changed but it must have been somewhere along the line in those first 10 years.
Jon Mello
CRG

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 01:27:11 PM »
Thats true Jon..  My uncle took his new L78 69 Chevelle into the dealer back in late 69 for a carb issue and they pulled in a 427 big car and pulled the Holley off of it and put it on his car and sent him on his way..  Also when he ordered the car originally he wanted certain options but they couldn't get the car in a reasonable amount of time and did a dealer trade for a Garnet Red L78 but it didnt have p/s so they pulled it off another car on the lot and swapped it and sold him the car after he agreed to everything..  IIRC he originally wanted a Fathom Green 69 L78..

Sorry for going a little off topic but trying to relate to how things could get swapped around BITD.