Author Topic: Console guage problem  (Read 2663 times)

mike1952

• View Profile
Console guage problem
« on: December 11, 2016, 09:51:33 PM »
Hello - My first post so please excuse me if this is a dumb question.  Finally retired and have time to do things I really want to do!
 Working on a 1968 SS/RS. 4 sp console gauges. I have been dealing with an electrical issue for several weeks with no luck. Cannot get the Temp or the Volt gauges to work.  Have new gauges, new gauge harness.  I have the gauges grounded to each other correctly as well as the short ground wire on the back of the temp gauge. I was trying to ensure all the gauges were working before putting the console back together.

Does the entire gauge cluster also need to be installed and grounded to the tunnel in order for the gauges to work?  Thanks for any help you can provide.

KevinW

• View Profile
Re: Console guage problem
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 12:20:25 PM »
All Electrical harnesses (including the console gauge harness) needs to be grounded to the metal shell of the car body.  There is usually a black wire with a round hold connector that a star washered screw is used to ground to the body. Weird things happen when no ground or poor ground.  Not saying that is the only issue, but make sure you have good grounds :)

mike1952

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 10:00:24 PM »
Thank you Kevin.  I did notice the new console harness has a ground wire with a larger than normal washer like connector on it.  I guess I could ground it to the body using the large bolt that secures the lower console case to the tunnel. Thanks again.

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 12:09:43 PM »
Yes, that is the one! Usually the factory just drilled a hole where the ground wire(s) layed (no real consistency). Then a sheet metal screw with a star washer to attach.   

anything