Author Topic: Power steering from Heartbeat on 69 Camaro  (Read 3833 times)

Bigblockbird

• View Profile
Power steering from Heartbeat on 69 Camaro
« on: November 25, 2016, 10:25:33 PM »
On my recent 69 Z/28 I purchased a month ago from Barrett Jackson, I already put a full power steering kit on it from Heartbeat City.
Very nice and complete kit (except Belt but I knew that when ordered).
Easy enough install as I actually fabricate and build race cars anyhow so this was nothing.

Makes it nice to not have to saw on the steering wheel, although honestly it wasn't bad, but I know the wife will be happier with the power.

The car is a Winters Crossram setup with the dual Holley 585's and it is ridiculously rich.
I knew it would be, and it is actually pretty drive-able, but it loads the heck out of the plugs if run at slow speed or idles at all.

Heck my high 7 second 1/4 Mile Tube Chassis 67 Nova with a 582 making over 1000 n/a Horsepower only uses a 1450 cfm alky carb.

I was looking around as I knew NASCAR uses a "SPEC" Holley 390 cfm carb that is a 4150 double pumper design and has center hung bowls just like the Original Crossram Carbs.

They would look so close only an expert would MAYBE be able to tell with the Air Cleaner on the car.
$1100 bucks my cost for two carbs from Summit.
What I am wondering is have you ever heard of anyone running this setup?

I don't want to give up the crossram for a single manifold. Face it, if you've got it flaunt it!

There is no way to "Detune 1170 CFM to not be ridiculously rich with the original carbs. But for cruising around
780 total would be just a bout right.

Any thoughts??
Hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving
John

BULLITT65

• View Profile
Re: Power steering from Heartbeat on 69 Camaro
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 10:38:43 PM »
Well my uncle ran a triple carb set up on his flat head, but it would have been to much fuel so he just ran the car off the center carb. Anyway to run it off a single carb, and have one dummy carb? ( not sure if they feed each bank separately)
 Still have the looks and function. Just an idea.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

Bigblockbird

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 12:19:06 AM »
Thanks but that wouldn't work on a cross ram. the carbs are located at the right front of the cylinder head and the left rear.
That would cause chaos with the fuel distribution.
I ordered two brand new carbs from Summit just now.
With my racer discount they were over a hundred bucks each off of retail and on sale so what's a mere $1100 bucks right?...... LOL

Daytona Z

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 12:46:49 AM »
Let me know how you make out with those. I'd be curious to know if it falls flat on the WOT end of things?
Just an obsessive-compulsive first gen car guy...

did I mention I like three pedals in a car?

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 01:47:17 AM »
We run a documented GM cross-ram & carbs but our dz block is stocked to 383 cu in & running a solid roller. No issues and most R amazed at how well it idles and performs but sure those extra cubes make a huge difference along with some carb finesse for the idle circuit.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

camaroboy68ss

• 1968 L30/M20
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 08:26:37 PM »
Well my uncle ran a triple carb set up on his flat head, but it would have been to much fuel so he just ran the car off the center carb. Anyway to run it off a single carb, and have one dummy carb? ( not sure if they feed each bank separately)
 Still have the looks and function. Just an idea.

well a properly set up tri power uses progressive linkage so when idling and low speed cruising your running off only the middle carb until wide open throttle when the other two kick in. Those old Stromberg 97's are small cfm carbs that three isnt too much for a later flathead. they are a gas guzzler because they leak like crazy. The dummy carb idea works great on 6x2's not so much on dual fours regardless of cross-ram or typical style. My grandfather and I have run that on a couple of engines now where the front 2 carbs and back two carbs are blocked off and the fuel log is capped, so only the middle two carbs are working. Though you need a open runner manifold for this to work properly.
Young gun with a Camaro or 2.
1968 Camaro RS L30/M20, 2017 Camaro SS
1968 Chevy C10 - Twin to the Camaro
1933 Ford Pickup - "Camaro in disguise"

Bigblockbird

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 01:25:08 AM »
Got the carbs and I have to modify the Throttle shaft arms to clear the Winters Manifold. Might pick up a couple of 1/2" inch spacers to see if that would work. Don't want to get to carried away as I want it to still look very stock/Crossram if you can call that setup "Stock".

@GreenNv, I don't think it will fall flat at the top end as 780 is a very conservative flow for these particular #390 Carbs times two. Remember they run these carbs on Nascar restrictor plate tracks and they only run one 390 and make 700 horsepower with them.

Besides this Car is a Cruise in car. not going to be spinning it to the 8 thousand rpms it is capable of.

I run drag cars that run high 7's to low 8's in the quarter mile.
I drive like a grandma on the street.
Don't need to pretend it's a 10 second street car like everybody at a Drive In thinks they have. (But they don't).

Gonna play with it some more next week, Football season and Family Holiday Dinners sure put a Kink in the Hotrod Shop

anything