Author Topic: Wiring Connections at Firewall Behind Fuse Panel  (Read 774 times)

FLA-67RS

• View Profile
Wiring Connections at Firewall Behind Fuse Panel
« on: November 04, 2023, 01:08:55 PM »
I have been experiencing a total loss of electrical power to the car and have traced it to the red power wire connection at the firewall behind the fuse panel. See picture below, note the corrosion at the red wire. Does anyone know how this wire connection is configured through the firewall? I'm trying to determine if this is a pin type connection and if I can pull the wire out of the connection panel from the inside of the car and clean it up. I have power brakes so the booster makes it difficult to access the connectors on the engine side of the firewall.
1967 RS - LOS 12A Grenada Gold with Gold Interior
Rare Options - AS1 Shoulder Harness, AS2 Headrests, A67 Folding Rear Seat, C50 Rear Defogger, C60 Air Conditioning

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
Re: Wiring Connections at Firewall Behind Fuse Panel
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2023, 09:37:18 PM »
If it were me, I’d remove the power brake booster and master cylinder in order to have good access in order to separate the bulkhead connector and check/clean everything as needed.  You could easily have other terminal corrosion issues that need to be dealt with.

Richard
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2023, 11:19:20 PM »
If it were me, I’d remove the power brake booster and master cylinder in order to have good access in order to separate the bulkhead connector and check/clean everything as needed.  You could easily have other terminal corrosion issues that need to be dealt with.

Richard
PB and MC do not need to be removed. I can reach in there and pull off the connectors. I'd also check all the wiring, including the feed at the juncion block behind the battery.

rocco376

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2023, 07:24:17 PM »
Had the same issue with my '67 Corvette.  Electrical items had slowly stopped working-radio, interior lights, tail lights.  Took the fuse panel out and found corrosion causing extra resistance.  Cleaned the blade contacts off and everything started working.

FLA-67RS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2023, 01:31:10 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. I am going to pull the bulkhead connectors apart and inspect/clean all connections. I'll post what I find out.
1967 RS - LOS 12A Grenada Gold with Gold Interior
Rare Options - AS1 Shoulder Harness, AS2 Headrests, A67 Folding Rear Seat, C50 Rear Defogger, C60 Air Conditioning