Author Topic: Brake distribution block - getting piston out ???  (Read 8590 times)

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: Brake distribution block - getting piston out ???
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 02:12:51 PM »
I second that motion..  :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2016, 12:09:17 AM »

I have a question now about the brass seats in the distribution block. I am replacing the one that comes in the rebuild kit for sure. I am wondering if the five remaining original seats are worn and possibly need replacing......if they even are replaceable?

The replacement seat in the rebuild kit is cone shaped and the side of the cone is smooth from top to bottom. I won't try to describe what the remaining originals look like. The photos tell the story better. Every one seems to be shaped differently. No two look alike. Some have a ridge on the side. The rim on the top of the cone is wider on some than others.....and so on.

I am wondering if this is the way they should look or if they all started with a smooth cone and then the brass molded itself over time to the brake line flare?

I don't believe the fittings, since leaving the factory, were ever removed from the distribution block before I took them off so there hasn't been a lot of repeated loosening and tightening on the seats.

Coincidentally, I have another identical distribution block here and every seat looks identical to my original. That would leave me to believe that the way the seats look is normal but I want to be sure. I don't want to get this all together and looking nice and then have the connections leak.

And if the seats happen to be worn are replacements available for all of them?

Thanks........Dave

sah62

• View Profile
    • Muscle Car Research LLC
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2016, 05:57:39 PM »
The seats get deformed to provide a seal when the brake line fitting is tightened. All of those seats can be removed, but I don't know if they are all the same size or if other replacements are available.
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Ford Mustang R-Code Mach 1
2006 Dodge Charger SRT8
1995 Chevrolet Impala SS

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2016, 09:53:55 PM »
Scott, thanks for the reply. I was actually going to call your company to see if you had replacement seats but your reply answered that for me.

I'll do some looking around and if I don't find anything, I'll just go with what I have.

Thanks again.....Dave

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2016, 12:37:56 PM »
Try calling Steve at Brake Boosters.

68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..