Author Topic: First Gen dual exhaust hanger plates..  (Read 28212 times)

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
First Gen dual exhaust hanger plates..
« on: November 08, 2016, 06:46:00 AM »
2 years ago I tried to help a guy I met, decide if he should take on a '68 project car he found locally. The car was reported to originally be a small block SS car (correct heater box) but without any rad / drivetrain and missing much of the interior and trim, I admitted to him finally that I really couldn't help him ID it much with the poor tag info '68's are obviously saddled with.
My best suggestion was for him to try GM Documentation Services and see what they could cough up if it was sold in Canada (Norwood tag) and because it did have a return fuel line (or what was left of one) I told him I thought that was a good SS starting point.. but when I went looking for the dual exhaust plate on the frame rail I couldn't see anything like I have seen pictured for '69's to suggest it may have had a dual exhaust option to further raise the SS possibilities.
Even though he finally passed on the car (too much work for his talents and bankroll) it always left me wondering - did '67's and '68's have exactly the same shape of welded on plate with the top and bottom 'U' shaped notches located on the rails like I have seen pictured for '69's?
If not, does anyone have a picture or two they could share showing what differences there are?
I did search around myself but other than more '69 vintage pictures I came up empty on earlier years..
My own Z was in dead storage at the time we looked at the car for him and is already put away now this year - and admittedly I never thought to look at it when it wasn't!
Saw him yesterday for the first time in a couple of years and it tweaked my memory..
Appreciate any and all responses and/or especially pictures! Thanks - Randy

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
Re: First Gen dual exhaust hanger plates..
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 08:39:22 AM »
67-8 does not have any plate on the frame rail, like a 69. Only thing you might find are dual hangers themselves.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

Gars68Tux

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 09:38:24 AM »
The drivers side frame rail would have factory installed rivnuts on dual exhaust cars.

No return lines for 67-8. All engines just had 1 fuel line.
Garth

68 RS L30 AA 749 Fred Gibb Chevrolet

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 02:17:15 PM »
All small block and L6 heater boxes are the same. Big blocks are different.

This link might be helpful.
http://www.camaros.org/diffs68.shtml
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 03:33:39 PM »
I thought I had heard that any car with a Rochester had to have a return line - No? I also knew that a 6 cylinder would have the same box as any small block - but just assumed (I know - I know) that because of the story attached to the car, it was at least a small block version somehow..
Was the '67 coupe the same frame rail / exhaust hanger arrangement as a '68?  If I recall, the info showed that this was a very early production '68 model - could that account for a rail or subframe that could have been a '67 leftover style as I don't recall any king of nuts welded onto the side of it where I thought a hanger plate might (should) live if it actually came with dual pipes..?
The car was not much more than an enclosed shell, although the body and pans looked remarkably good and would have been great for a race car project - but it was a lot of parts and $$'s away from being road worthy and that I consider was what basically scared my friend off..

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 04:17:50 PM »
I thought I had heard that any car with a Rochester had to have a return line - No?

That only applies to 1969. 1967 and 1968 were single line only with no return line.

Was the '67 coupe the same frame rail / exhaust hanger arrangement as a '68?

Yes, so if there weren't any rivnuts, the car came with single exhaust.

See pictures below:

Top picture - 1969 welded plate - drivers side.

Bottom picture -  1967-1968 "taping plate" installed by Fisher Body - passenger side.

See below for pic of rivnuts used in 1967-1968..

(NOTE: These only apply to Coupes.)

Ed

(Edited as Ed requested.  I deleted our extra posts).  Bryon

(Second edit 11/9/2016)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 08:07:28 PM by bcmiller »

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 07:01:45 PM »
 That top picture that is supposed to be a 67/68 doesn't look anything like my '67 04B coupe or 05B convertible holes. The holes on my car are more towards the back of the rear tire and look to be just drilled and tapped. I don't see any signs of rivet nuts on either side (as noted on the convertible). Perhaps this was a late '67 model change?

Mike

(Post was edited - it was the top picture, now the bottom).  Bryon
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 01:06:43 AM by bcmiller »
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 07:48:11 PM »
 Perfect! That's what I have, Ed.

Thanks,
Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 11:16:50 PM »
Thanks guys for the replies and information..
Maybe its just as well he didn't buy the car since I may have been leading him towards something that wasn't a SS model with somewhat flawed information.
I do wonder where the car may have ended up, as it up and disappeared from being up on blocks in the owner's elderly parents driveway over a year and a half ago and no one knows anything since that point. The body was quite good as I mentioned and that is the single biggest money pit as everyone well knows when it comes to these old cars.. hope it survives somewhere SS or not!
Much appreciate the information , pictures, and comments - Randy

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 12:21:18 AM »
Thanks guys for the replies and information..
Maybe its just as well he didn't buy the car since I may have been leading him towards something that wasn't a SS model with somewhat flawed information.
I do wonder where the car may have ended up, as it up and disappeared from being up on blocks in the owner's elderly parents driveway over a year and a half ago and no one knows anything since that point. The body was quite good as I mentioned and that is the single biggest money pit as everyone well knows when it comes to these old cars.. hope it survives somewhere SS or not!
Much appreciate the information , pictures, and comments - Randy
Way too much missing on the car anyway Randy. Our 68Z wants to know how his brother is doing?
Just to know, Randy's MO motor and ours were built the same day, Dec. 21, 1967.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

RS Copo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 01:42:46 AM »
Were the holes shown in the picture in reply #7 put on the frame rail for any other reason except dual exhaust? And are they only on the drivers side?Thanks.

RS Copo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 01:47:03 AM »
Sorry, the pic is now the bottom photo on reply #5.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 02:04:34 AM »
Were the holes shown in the picture in reply #7 put on the frame rail for any other reason except dual exhaust? And are they only on the drivers side?Thanks.

No, only 1967-1968 Coupes with dual exhaust got the rivnuts (and thus the holes drilled at the dimples). Convertibles got the holes drilled at the dimples, but because the rear sub frame is thicker on Convertibles than Coupes, the rivnuts weren't required. And all cars with the standard single exhaust didn't even get the holes at the dimples drilled. And yes the rivnuts were only used on the driver's side. The passenger's side used the production single exhaust hanger. (See AIM drawing attached)

Ed

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 02:08:26 AM »
On both sides! Our car this summer when installing the exhaust.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

RS Copo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 02:32:35 AM »
My 68 Coupe has rivnuts on the pass side,on the drivers side it has the two holes but no rivnuts. Single exhaust car? LA built,if that makes any difference.