Author Topic: First Gen dual exhaust hanger plates..  (Read 28401 times)

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: First Gen dual exhaust hanger plates..
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2016, 10:52:50 PM »
I checked my LA 68 coupe today and it has the tapping plate on the pass side and two holes the match the AIM dimension (.333)on the drivers side.No riv nuts. Opinions,please.

Another LA car!

Ed

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2016, 10:54:03 PM »
I checked my LA 68 coupe today and it has the tapping plate on the pass side and two holes the match the AIM dimension (.333)on the drivers side.No riv nuts. Opinions,please.
  RS Copo.....dual exhaust? If so, then that makes two LOS coupes with no rivet nuts.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

RS Copo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2016, 12:34:05 AM »
Mike,sorry for any confusion,I'm trying to determine if mine came with dual exhaust.October 68 build btw.
    Dana

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2016, 01:29:48 AM »
Dana, are the holes on the drivers side threaded?
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2016, 01:30:59 AM »
 There would be two extra hangers for dual exhaust cars. One by the rear wheel for the exit pipe and one by the differential for the axle pipe. Are there any signs of a second hanger in front of the differential?

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2016, 02:29:46 AM »
Mike,sorry for any confusion,I'm trying to determine if mine came with dual exhaust.October 68 build btw.

Dana, I'm assuming you mean October, 1967 and NOT October, 1968. A car built in October, 1968 would be a 1969 model!

There would be two extra hangers for dual exhaust cars. One by the rear wheel for the exit pipe and one by the differential for the axle pipe.

Here's where it gets a little confusing. (At least for me!)

For 1968, RPO N10 was the dual exhaust, available on any V8 engine and included with SS. It consisted of a muffler and two resonators (see the AIM, UPC N10, sheet A3). To attach it to the car, there were an additional two muffler hangers bolted into two taping plates (one on each side of the car). These plates were installed by Fisther Body in front of the muffler on the frame rails just adjacent to the shock absorbers. I've attached pictures of my car showing the driver side tapping plate and the location on the passenger side where the tapping plate WOULD BE if I had RPO N10 (I have RPO NF2 which I'll cover in the next reply)

Ed

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2016, 02:35:23 AM »
For 1968, RPO NF2 was again optional on any V8 car and was a no cost option for the SS. It was also included with the Z28. It included a deep-tone muffler (no resonators installed), and used an additional two hangers. However, these two hangers were attached to the floorboards and not the frame rails.

Again, two pictures attached showing the driver side hanger and the passenger side hanger.

Ed

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2016, 02:51:32 AM »
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2016, 03:00:29 AM »
And those hangers close to axle used riv-nuts as well. One of mine was loose and was a pain working out and replacing in that location.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

RS Copo

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2016, 05:31:49 AM »
I can't quite get how to do multiple quotes,but BC Miller, the holes on the dr side frame rail behind the tire are not threaded.
Ed,it is an Oct 67 car. I see the taping plate on the dr side ,next to the shock,on bottom side of the frame rail.I also see the holes in the same location on the pass side,but no taping plate installed.However, next to the shock on the pass side frame rail,facing out towards the tire, there  are two holes with a taping plate.
On the floors, forward of the rear end housing,there is a taping plate for a hanger on the dr side only. Just two holes on the pass side.Thank you.
Dana

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2016, 02:01:06 PM »
Dana, that's confusing to me. But if the holes aren't threaded, they probably were not used for exhaust. 

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2016, 03:50:56 PM »
I can't quite get how to do multiple quotes,but BC Miller, the holes on the dr side frame rail behind the tire are not threaded.

They shouldn't be threaded. There should be two rivnuts inserted into the holes as shown in the picture above.

Ed,it is an Oct 67 car. I see the taping plate on the dr side ,next to the shock,on bottom side of the frame rail.I also see the holes in the same location on the pass side,but no taping plate installed.However, next to the shock on the pass side frame rail,facing out towards the tire, there  are two holes with a taping plate.
On the floors, forward of the rear end housing,there is a taping plate for a hanger on the dr side only. Just two holes on the pass side.

It's difficult to say what you originally had, but the holes with no rivnuts on the driver side "might" indicate dual exhaust. I was speaking to Troy last night and he said he's never seen ANY 67 (LA OR Norwood) with the rivnuts! And he's restored a ton of them. Even though the AIM states they were added in November of 1966, this doesn't mean they were actually placed in production on that date. The dates in the AIM are only reference dates when engineering submitted the change to the drawing department. It has nothing to do with the actual date the item was placed in production. Your car is an early production 68, so even by then the rivnuts may not have been implemented, I just don't have enough data points to say for certain.

Would it be possible to get some pictures? And I'm assuming your car ISN'T an SS or a Z28?

Ed

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2016, 06:44:11 PM »
I've gone back and re-read this thread and it's confusing in part because of the terminology we're using. If we can all stick to the same verbiage, it would really help.

1. Rivnuts (or Riv-nuts) - A tubular rivet with internal threads that are placed into a hole drilled in the frame rail. Used because the frame rail thickness on the Coupe isn't thick enough to use a standard screw/bolt.

2. Tapping plate - An additional plate with pre-drilled holes welded inside the frame rail by Fisher Body. Parts are attached by using special screws/bolts that cut their own threads. Tapping plates are NOT pre-threaded.

3. Threaded plate - An additional plate with pre-threaded holes welded inside the frame by Fisher Body. Because they're pre-threaded, they use standard bolts/screws.

4. Welded plate  - an extra plate welded to the outside of the frame to make it thicker so bolts/screws have more "meat" to screw into.

Sound okay?

Ed

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2016, 07:21:07 PM »
I think that sounds fine. But was there a threaded plate? 

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2016, 07:48:47 PM »
But was there a threaded plate?

Yes, and even I screwed it up! (Maybe!)

In my reply #35 above, the first picture should be N10 THREADED plate, not tapping plate. However, if you look at the AIM (UPC 8, Sheet A4), it states "TAPPING PLATE (FISHER BODY)", but the screw that goes into it (3784303) is a standard bolt, not a thread cutting bolt. So either it's a tapping plate like the AIM says (but AMK got the bolt wrong), or it's actually a threaded plate.

Anyway, I've fixed the driver side verbiage in the attached picture IF it's a threaded plate! Take your choice! TAPPING plate in reply #35 or THREADED plate in this reply!!

See why this drives us all nuts?!

Ed
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 08:29:12 PM by bertfam »

anything