Author Topic: First Gen dual exhaust hanger plates..  (Read 28418 times)

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
Re: First Gen dual exhaust hanger plates..
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2016, 02:38:51 AM »
Greetings Chick - how are things?  I see you finally finished up 'ole Yeller' - she looks beautiful!
You are to be commended for the fantastic attention to detail and the perfect fit and finish you achieved..
Love to see it in person, but on second thought that might not necessarily be a good thing - as I might never view mine the same way or want to be seen in it ever again..
Again the detail is stunning you must be so proud of the finished product - Congrats!!

Northern Cousin & Randy..

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2016, 03:39:49 AM »
My 68 Coupe has rivnuts on the pass side...

Well, my memory may be playing tricks on me, but I could have sworn that rivenuts were only used on the driver side and there was a tapping plate inside the frame rail (installed by Fisher Body) on the passenger side.

Anyone can feel free to correct me, since I'm no longer sure!!

Ed

RS Copo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2016, 03:50:33 AM »
Ed,I'll look again tomorrow,maybe that was a plate in there on the pass side and the riv nuts fell out on the drivers...I'll post again tomorrow,thank you.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2016, 04:17:12 AM »
Okay, have to apologize to everyone. I got the above picture wrong yet again!! That bottom picture in my reply number 5 above is of the PASSENGER side of the car, and IS the Fisher Body installed "taping plate".

I've attached the CORRECT pictures below. The top picture is of the DRIVER side (1967-1968 Coupe with dual exhaust), and shows the rivnuts. the bottom picture is the PASSENGER side (all cars), and shows the "taping plate" installed by Fisher Body.

Sorry for the confusion (on my part) guys.

Ed

Gars68Tux

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2016, 05:23:31 AM »
That looks more like it! That's the first pic I've seen (in this thread) of what I thought was a rivnut. :) And yes, as shown in the AIM, on the drivers side only. 

FWIW, mine was originally single exhaust. It had pre-punched holes in the drivers side- no rivnuts. Norwood car.

Thanks for the pics !
Garth

68 RS L30 AA 749 Fred Gibb Chevrolet

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2016, 03:55:52 PM »
Hi Ed,

I checked my 67 L35 LOS coupe and after removing the original hanger (first time since I bought the car in 1980) I only see tapped holes and no plugs. Are the plugs something that were installed after the 1967 04/05 time frame by chance? On my '67 05B convertible there were no signs of plugs on either side. Did these plugs fall out easy? My thinking is no if they were locked into place like a blind nut.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2016, 04:15:54 PM »
Mike, I can't say for sure when these entered production, but if you look in your 1967 AIM (UPC N10, Sheet A4), there's note 8 that states "ITEMS 13 & 14 ADDED" and the date is 11-25-66.

Of course, that's not the date the change went into production, only the date engineering submitted the information to the art department, so who knows when it actually started.

However, your Coupe should probably have the rivnuts. Yes, I suppose they can come out, but because they're designed like a rivet, when the screw/bolt is torqued down, the rivnut expands in the hole and it would be hard for it to "just fall out". And you should only have the tapping plate on the passenger side of the car. If you have tapped holes on the driver side of the car, then I have no explanation because the rivnut was inserted into a "drilled hole", not a "tapped hole".

Can you post a picture?

Ed
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 05:28:08 PM by bertfam »

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2016, 05:21:17 PM »
Hi Ed,
   The 05B is the convertible and I see the AIM only referenced the coupe as having the nuts which would be on the 04B LOS car.
Attached is a picture of the drivers side coupe with the bracket removed and I can't see any signs of nuts ever being there. The only proof I can offer is being the holes would be larger (per the AIM) if it had the nuts then the bolts would  be too small if the nuts did indeed fall out. The original coupe nuts (pictured and has a small E on the head) fit both sides of the coupe frame holes and even match the convertible hole sizes. Maybe it was possible LOS did things differently in '67 before things changed there (per John Z) and the nuts weren't installed on the coupe. And for the 05B NOR convertible the nuts weren't used yet being the holes on the right and left side are the same size and also match the coupe?

Interesting topic!

Mike

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2016, 05:26:11 PM »
Maybe it was possible LOS did things differently in '67 before things changed there (per John Z) and the nuts weren't installed on the coupe.

That's very possible. LA did a TON of things different than Norwood AND the AIM!!!

More 67 LA Coupe data would be nice, so anyone with a LA built 67 Coupe, please feel free to post their findings.

Ed

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2016, 08:12:43 PM »
I think things are right now. Thanks Ed for sticking with this topic.  I am pretty sure 67-68 NOR dual exhaust cars had things as described previously, not sure about LOS cars.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2016, 08:18:12 PM »
Thanks Bryon!!

Ed

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2016, 08:28:38 PM »
Hi Bryon or Ed,

I see in the AIM a note that the rivet nuts were for coupe only. Why was the convertible not included?
The only thing that comes to mind would be rear frame rail thickness between the two body styles but looking at the hole thickness (metal thickness) on the drivers side between the coupe and convertible look the same thickness. I see replacement rails do not specify body type so I assume they are the same.
Just curious.

Mike

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2016, 08:49:25 PM »
Convertibles had thicker frame rails and didn't need the rivnuts. For example, the 1968 Coupe driver side was P/N 7738048 and the 1968 Convertible driver side was P/N 7738046. I'm sure aftermarket parts are (incorrectly) "one size fits all".

Ed

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2016, 10:44:10 PM »
Yep. And convertible cars that had full size frames (like Chevelles) were heavier/thicker. 
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

RS Copo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2016, 10:48:05 PM »
I checked my LA 68 coupe today and it has the tapping plate on the pass side and two holes the match the AIM dimension (.333)on the drivers side.No riv nuts. Opinions,please.