Author Topic: First Gen dual exhaust hanger plates..  (Read 28211 times)

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
First Gen dual exhaust hanger plates..
« on: November 08, 2016, 06:46:00 AM »
2 years ago I tried to help a guy I met, decide if he should take on a '68 project car he found locally. The car was reported to originally be a small block SS car (correct heater box) but without any rad / drivetrain and missing much of the interior and trim, I admitted to him finally that I really couldn't help him ID it much with the poor tag info '68's are obviously saddled with.
My best suggestion was for him to try GM Documentation Services and see what they could cough up if it was sold in Canada (Norwood tag) and because it did have a return fuel line (or what was left of one) I told him I thought that was a good SS starting point.. but when I went looking for the dual exhaust plate on the frame rail I couldn't see anything like I have seen pictured for '69's to suggest it may have had a dual exhaust option to further raise the SS possibilities.
Even though he finally passed on the car (too much work for his talents and bankroll) it always left me wondering - did '67's and '68's have exactly the same shape of welded on plate with the top and bottom 'U' shaped notches located on the rails like I have seen pictured for '69's?
If not, does anyone have a picture or two they could share showing what differences there are?
I did search around myself but other than more '69 vintage pictures I came up empty on earlier years..
My own Z was in dead storage at the time we looked at the car for him and is already put away now this year - and admittedly I never thought to look at it when it wasn't!
Saw him yesterday for the first time in a couple of years and it tweaked my memory..
Appreciate any and all responses and/or especially pictures! Thanks - Randy

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
Re: First Gen dual exhaust hanger plates..
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 08:39:22 AM »
67-8 does not have any plate on the frame rail, like a 69. Only thing you might find are dual hangers themselves.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

Gars68Tux

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 09:38:24 AM »
The drivers side frame rail would have factory installed rivnuts on dual exhaust cars.

No return lines for 67-8. All engines just had 1 fuel line.
Garth

68 RS L30 AA 749 Fred Gibb Chevrolet

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 02:17:15 PM »
All small block and L6 heater boxes are the same. Big blocks are different.

This link might be helpful.
http://www.camaros.org/diffs68.shtml
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 03:33:39 PM »
I thought I had heard that any car with a Rochester had to have a return line - No? I also knew that a 6 cylinder would have the same box as any small block - but just assumed (I know - I know) that because of the story attached to the car, it was at least a small block version somehow..
Was the '67 coupe the same frame rail / exhaust hanger arrangement as a '68?  If I recall, the info showed that this was a very early production '68 model - could that account for a rail or subframe that could have been a '67 leftover style as I don't recall any king of nuts welded onto the side of it where I thought a hanger plate might (should) live if it actually came with dual pipes..?
The car was not much more than an enclosed shell, although the body and pans looked remarkably good and would have been great for a race car project - but it was a lot of parts and $$'s away from being road worthy and that I consider was what basically scared my friend off..

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 04:17:50 PM »
I thought I had heard that any car with a Rochester had to have a return line - No?

That only applies to 1969. 1967 and 1968 were single line only with no return line.

Was the '67 coupe the same frame rail / exhaust hanger arrangement as a '68?

Yes, so if there weren't any rivnuts, the car came with single exhaust.

See pictures below:

Top picture - 1969 welded plate - drivers side.

Bottom picture -  1967-1968 "taping plate" installed by Fisher Body - passenger side.

See below for pic of rivnuts used in 1967-1968..

(NOTE: These only apply to Coupes.)

Ed

(Edited as Ed requested.  I deleted our extra posts).  Bryon

(Second edit 11/9/2016)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 08:07:28 PM by bcmiller »

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 07:01:45 PM »
 That top picture that is supposed to be a 67/68 doesn't look anything like my '67 04B coupe or 05B convertible holes. The holes on my car are more towards the back of the rear tire and look to be just drilled and tapped. I don't see any signs of rivet nuts on either side (as noted on the convertible). Perhaps this was a late '67 model change?

Mike

(Post was edited - it was the top picture, now the bottom).  Bryon
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 01:06:43 AM by bcmiller »
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 07:48:11 PM »
 Perfect! That's what I have, Ed.

Thanks,
Mike

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 11:16:50 PM »
Thanks guys for the replies and information..
Maybe its just as well he didn't buy the car since I may have been leading him towards something that wasn't a SS model with somewhat flawed information.
I do wonder where the car may have ended up, as it up and disappeared from being up on blocks in the owner's elderly parents driveway over a year and a half ago and no one knows anything since that point. The body was quite good as I mentioned and that is the single biggest money pit as everyone well knows when it comes to these old cars.. hope it survives somewhere SS or not!
Much appreciate the information , pictures, and comments - Randy

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 12:21:18 AM »
Thanks guys for the replies and information..
Maybe its just as well he didn't buy the car since I may have been leading him towards something that wasn't a SS model with somewhat flawed information.
I do wonder where the car may have ended up, as it up and disappeared from being up on blocks in the owner's elderly parents driveway over a year and a half ago and no one knows anything since that point. The body was quite good as I mentioned and that is the single biggest money pit as everyone well knows when it comes to these old cars.. hope it survives somewhere SS or not!
Much appreciate the information , pictures, and comments - Randy
Way too much missing on the car anyway Randy. Our 68Z wants to know how his brother is doing?
Just to know, Randy's MO motor and ours were built the same day, Dec. 21, 1967.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

RS Copo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 01:42:46 AM »
Were the holes shown in the picture in reply #7 put on the frame rail for any other reason except dual exhaust? And are they only on the drivers side?Thanks.

RS Copo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 01:47:03 AM »
Sorry, the pic is now the bottom photo on reply #5.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 02:04:34 AM »
Were the holes shown in the picture in reply #7 put on the frame rail for any other reason except dual exhaust? And are they only on the drivers side?Thanks.

No, only 1967-1968 Coupes with dual exhaust got the rivnuts (and thus the holes drilled at the dimples). Convertibles got the holes drilled at the dimples, but because the rear sub frame is thicker on Convertibles than Coupes, the rivnuts weren't required. And all cars with the standard single exhaust didn't even get the holes at the dimples drilled. And yes the rivnuts were only used on the driver's side. The passenger's side used the production single exhaust hanger. (See AIM drawing attached)

Ed

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 02:08:26 AM »
On both sides! Our car this summer when installing the exhaust.
Chick
67 L89 Corv Tribute
07 Corv Z06

RS Copo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 02:32:35 AM »
My 68 Coupe has rivnuts on the pass side,on the drivers side it has the two holes but no rivnuts. Single exhaust car? LA built,if that makes any difference.

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2016, 02:38:51 AM »
Greetings Chick - how are things?  I see you finally finished up 'ole Yeller' - she looks beautiful!
You are to be commended for the fantastic attention to detail and the perfect fit and finish you achieved..
Love to see it in person, but on second thought that might not necessarily be a good thing - as I might never view mine the same way or want to be seen in it ever again..
Again the detail is stunning you must be so proud of the finished product - Congrats!!

Northern Cousin & Randy..

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2016, 03:39:49 AM »
My 68 Coupe has rivnuts on the pass side...

Well, my memory may be playing tricks on me, but I could have sworn that rivenuts were only used on the driver side and there was a tapping plate inside the frame rail (installed by Fisher Body) on the passenger side.

Anyone can feel free to correct me, since I'm no longer sure!!

Ed

RS Copo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2016, 03:50:33 AM »
Ed,I'll look again tomorrow,maybe that was a plate in there on the pass side and the riv nuts fell out on the drivers...I'll post again tomorrow,thank you.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2016, 04:17:12 AM »
Okay, have to apologize to everyone. I got the above picture wrong yet again!! That bottom picture in my reply number 5 above is of the PASSENGER side of the car, and IS the Fisher Body installed "taping plate".

I've attached the CORRECT pictures below. The top picture is of the DRIVER side (1967-1968 Coupe with dual exhaust), and shows the rivnuts. the bottom picture is the PASSENGER side (all cars), and shows the "taping plate" installed by Fisher Body.

Sorry for the confusion (on my part) guys.

Ed

Gars68Tux

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2016, 05:23:31 AM »
That looks more like it! That's the first pic I've seen (in this thread) of what I thought was a rivnut. :) And yes, as shown in the AIM, on the drivers side only. 

FWIW, mine was originally single exhaust. It had pre-punched holes in the drivers side- no rivnuts. Norwood car.

Thanks for the pics !
Garth

68 RS L30 AA 749 Fred Gibb Chevrolet

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2016, 03:55:52 PM »
Hi Ed,

I checked my 67 L35 LOS coupe and after removing the original hanger (first time since I bought the car in 1980) I only see tapped holes and no plugs. Are the plugs something that were installed after the 1967 04/05 time frame by chance? On my '67 05B convertible there were no signs of plugs on either side. Did these plugs fall out easy? My thinking is no if they were locked into place like a blind nut.

Mike

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2016, 04:15:54 PM »
Mike, I can't say for sure when these entered production, but if you look in your 1967 AIM (UPC N10, Sheet A4), there's note 8 that states "ITEMS 13 & 14 ADDED" and the date is 11-25-66.

Of course, that's not the date the change went into production, only the date engineering submitted the information to the art department, so who knows when it actually started.

However, your Coupe should probably have the rivnuts. Yes, I suppose they can come out, but because they're designed like a rivet, when the screw/bolt is torqued down, the rivnut expands in the hole and it would be hard for it to "just fall out". And you should only have the tapping plate on the passenger side of the car. If you have tapped holes on the driver side of the car, then I have no explanation because the rivnut was inserted into a "drilled hole", not a "tapped hole".

Can you post a picture?

Ed
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 05:28:08 PM by bertfam »

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2016, 05:21:17 PM »
Hi Ed,
   The 05B is the convertible and I see the AIM only referenced the coupe as having the nuts which would be on the 04B LOS car.
Attached is a picture of the drivers side coupe with the bracket removed and I can't see any signs of nuts ever being there. The only proof I can offer is being the holes would be larger (per the AIM) if it had the nuts then the bolts would  be too small if the nuts did indeed fall out. The original coupe nuts (pictured and has a small E on the head) fit both sides of the coupe frame holes and even match the convertible hole sizes. Maybe it was possible LOS did things differently in '67 before things changed there (per John Z) and the nuts weren't installed on the coupe. And for the 05B NOR convertible the nuts weren't used yet being the holes on the right and left side are the same size and also match the coupe?

Interesting topic!

Mike

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2016, 05:26:11 PM »
Maybe it was possible LOS did things differently in '67 before things changed there (per John Z) and the nuts weren't installed on the coupe.

That's very possible. LA did a TON of things different than Norwood AND the AIM!!!

More 67 LA Coupe data would be nice, so anyone with a LA built 67 Coupe, please feel free to post their findings.

Ed

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2016, 08:12:43 PM »
I think things are right now. Thanks Ed for sticking with this topic.  I am pretty sure 67-68 NOR dual exhaust cars had things as described previously, not sure about LOS cars.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2016, 08:18:12 PM »
Thanks Bryon!!

Ed

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2016, 08:28:38 PM »
Hi Bryon or Ed,

I see in the AIM a note that the rivet nuts were for coupe only. Why was the convertible not included?
The only thing that comes to mind would be rear frame rail thickness between the two body styles but looking at the hole thickness (metal thickness) on the drivers side between the coupe and convertible look the same thickness. I see replacement rails do not specify body type so I assume they are the same.
Just curious.

Mike

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2016, 08:49:25 PM »
Convertibles had thicker frame rails and didn't need the rivnuts. For example, the 1968 Coupe driver side was P/N 7738048 and the 1968 Convertible driver side was P/N 7738046. I'm sure aftermarket parts are (incorrectly) "one size fits all".

Ed

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2016, 10:44:10 PM »
Yep. And convertible cars that had full size frames (like Chevelles) were heavier/thicker. 

RS Copo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2016, 10:48:05 PM »
I checked my LA 68 coupe today and it has the tapping plate on the pass side and two holes the match the AIM dimension (.333)on the drivers side.No riv nuts. Opinions,please.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2016, 10:52:50 PM »
I checked my LA 68 coupe today and it has the tapping plate on the pass side and two holes the match the AIM dimension (.333)on the drivers side.No riv nuts. Opinions,please.

Another LA car!

Ed

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2016, 10:54:03 PM »
  RS Copo.....dual exhaust? If so, then that makes two LOS coupes with no rivet nuts.

Mike

RS Copo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2016, 12:34:05 AM »
Mike,sorry for any confusion,I'm trying to determine if mine came with dual exhaust.October 68 build btw.
    Dana

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2016, 01:29:48 AM »
Dana, are the holes on the drivers side threaded?

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2016, 01:30:59 AM »
 There would be two extra hangers for dual exhaust cars. One by the rear wheel for the exit pipe and one by the differential for the axle pipe. Are there any signs of a second hanger in front of the differential?

Mike

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2016, 02:29:46 AM »
Mike,sorry for any confusion,I'm trying to determine if mine came with dual exhaust.October 68 build btw.

Dana, I'm assuming you mean October, 1967 and NOT October, 1968. A car built in October, 1968 would be a 1969 model!

There would be two extra hangers for dual exhaust cars. One by the rear wheel for the exit pipe and one by the differential for the axle pipe.

Here's where it gets a little confusing. (At least for me!)

For 1968, RPO N10 was the dual exhaust, available on any V8 engine and included with SS. It consisted of a muffler and two resonators (see the AIM, UPC N10, sheet A3). To attach it to the car, there were an additional two muffler hangers bolted into two taping plates (one on each side of the car). These plates were installed by Fisther Body in front of the muffler on the frame rails just adjacent to the shock absorbers. I've attached pictures of my car showing the driver side tapping plate and the location on the passenger side where the tapping plate WOULD BE if I had RPO N10 (I have RPO NF2 which I'll cover in the next reply)

Ed

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2016, 02:35:23 AM »
For 1968, RPO NF2 was again optional on any V8 car and was a no cost option for the SS. It was also included with the Z28. It included a deep-tone muffler (no resonators installed), and used an additional two hangers. However, these two hangers were attached to the floorboards and not the frame rails.

Again, two pictures attached showing the driver side hanger and the passenger side hanger.

Ed

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2016, 02:51:32 AM »
Chick
67 L89 Corv Tribute
07 Corv Z06

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2016, 03:00:29 AM »
And those hangers close to axle used riv-nuts as well. One of mine was loose and was a pain working out and replacing in that location.
Chick
67 L89 Corv Tribute
07 Corv Z06

RS Copo

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2016, 05:31:49 AM »
I can't quite get how to do multiple quotes,but BC Miller, the holes on the dr side frame rail behind the tire are not threaded.
Ed,it is an Oct 67 car. I see the taping plate on the dr side ,next to the shock,on bottom side of the frame rail.I also see the holes in the same location on the pass side,but no taping plate installed.However, next to the shock on the pass side frame rail,facing out towards the tire, there  are two holes with a taping plate.
On the floors, forward of the rear end housing,there is a taping plate for a hanger on the dr side only. Just two holes on the pass side.Thank you.
Dana

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2016, 02:01:06 PM »
Dana, that's confusing to me. But if the holes aren't threaded, they probably were not used for exhaust. 

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2016, 03:50:56 PM »
I can't quite get how to do multiple quotes,but BC Miller, the holes on the dr side frame rail behind the tire are not threaded.

They shouldn't be threaded. There should be two rivnuts inserted into the holes as shown in the picture above.

Ed,it is an Oct 67 car. I see the taping plate on the dr side ,next to the shock,on bottom side of the frame rail.I also see the holes in the same location on the pass side,but no taping plate installed.However, next to the shock on the pass side frame rail,facing out towards the tire, there  are two holes with a taping plate.
On the floors, forward of the rear end housing,there is a taping plate for a hanger on the dr side only. Just two holes on the pass side.

It's difficult to say what you originally had, but the holes with no rivnuts on the driver side "might" indicate dual exhaust. I was speaking to Troy last night and he said he's never seen ANY 67 (LA OR Norwood) with the rivnuts! And he's restored a ton of them. Even though the AIM states they were added in November of 1966, this doesn't mean they were actually placed in production on that date. The dates in the AIM are only reference dates when engineering submitted the change to the drawing department. It has nothing to do with the actual date the item was placed in production. Your car is an early production 68, so even by then the rivnuts may not have been implemented, I just don't have enough data points to say for certain.

Would it be possible to get some pictures? And I'm assuming your car ISN'T an SS or a Z28?

Ed

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2016, 06:44:11 PM »
I've gone back and re-read this thread and it's confusing in part because of the terminology we're using. If we can all stick to the same verbiage, it would really help.

1. Rivnuts (or Riv-nuts) - A tubular rivet with internal threads that are placed into a hole drilled in the frame rail. Used because the frame rail thickness on the Coupe isn't thick enough to use a standard screw/bolt.

2. Tapping plate - An additional plate with pre-drilled holes welded inside the frame rail by Fisher Body. Parts are attached by using special screws/bolts that cut their own threads. Tapping plates are NOT pre-threaded.

3. Threaded plate - An additional plate with pre-threaded holes welded inside the frame by Fisher Body. Because they're pre-threaded, they use standard bolts/screws.

4. Welded plate  - an extra plate welded to the outside of the frame to make it thicker so bolts/screws have more "meat" to screw into.

Sound okay?

Ed

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2016, 07:21:07 PM »
I think that sounds fine. But was there a threaded plate? 

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2016, 07:48:47 PM »
But was there a threaded plate?

Yes, and even I screwed it up! (Maybe!)

In my reply #35 above, the first picture should be N10 THREADED plate, not tapping plate. However, if you look at the AIM (UPC 8, Sheet A4), it states "TAPPING PLATE (FISHER BODY)", but the screw that goes into it (3784303) is a standard bolt, not a thread cutting bolt. So either it's a tapping plate like the AIM says (but AMK got the bolt wrong), or it's actually a threaded plate.

Anyway, I've fixed the driver side verbiage in the attached picture IF it's a threaded plate! Take your choice! TAPPING plate in reply #35 or THREADED plate in this reply!!

See why this drives us all nuts?!

Ed
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 08:29:12 PM by bertfam »

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2016, 01:10:33 AM »
Ain't nuttin perfect, Ed..  but you did GUD...  :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

RS Copo

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2016, 02:05:14 AM »

They shouldn't be threaded. There should be two rivnuts inserted into the holes as shown in the picture above.

On the floors, forward of the rear end housing,there is a taping plate for a hanger on the dr side only. Just two holes on the pass side.

It's difficult to say what you originally had, but the holes with no rivnuts on the driver side "might" indicate dual exhaust. I was speaking to Troy last night and he said he's never seen ANY 67 (LA OR Norwood) with the rivnuts! And he's restored a ton of them. Even though the AIM states they were added in November of 1966, this doesn't mean they were actually placed in production on that date. The dates in the AIM are only reference dates when engineering submitted the change to the drawing department. It has nothing to do with the actual date the item was placed in production. Your car is an early production 68, so even by then the rivnuts may not have been implemented, I just don't have enough data points to say for certain.

Would it be possible to get some pictures? And I'm assuming your car ISN'T an SS or a Z28?

Ed

Ed, I'm not sure what my 68 started out as.It was a roller(barely) purchased in 2011 in Arizona and brought to MI.No A/C,BB hood springs,fenders drilled for SS and engine emblems.No interior.Did have a speedo with the car,that's it for gauges.A rear end installed to move it.It had no wiring
 or fuel system on it.I will take pics of it tomorrow and see if I can post them,or at least text them to you,if you wish.BTW,I think what I was referring to as taping plates might actually be threaded plates.You should be able to tell from the pictures.                                                                                                                                Dana

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2016, 02:11:58 AM »
Thanks Gary. I've always found the exhaust options on 67-69 Camaros to be VERY confusing. Single exhaust, N61 (67), N10 (67 & 68), NF2 (68 & 69), NC8 (69)... Just too many choices!!

Dana, what's the VIN? If it's in the database, we might have more info on it. And yes, by all means post some pictures.

And I got a little more info on the rivnut usage for 1967. Troy (Criscillis) stated he worked on a late 1967 (06B) LA Coupe that DIDN'T have the rivuts, and Bill (Glowacki) said he had a late 1967 (06E) Z28 that he's virtually certain DID have the rivnuts, so a little more data for us. Anyone with a 1967 Coupe (LA or Norwood) care to chime in, I'd welcome the input.

Ed

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2016, 12:49:12 PM »
Sorry - Sounds like I really unknowingly opened up a 'can of worms'..

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2016, 02:13:49 PM »
Sorry - Sounds like I really unknowingly opened up a 'can of worms'..

It's all good....    Sorting out a 'can of worms', or trying to, is our specialty here..  :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2016, 06:48:24 PM »
Yes, it's actually enjoyable trying to unravel the mysteries!

And here's what we have so far for the Coupes:

1967 LA
Build Date  Rivnut?   Reference by
04B           No         Mike S
06B           No         Troy Criscillis

1967 NOR
Build date  Rivnut?   Referenced by
06E          Yes        Bill Glowacki

1968 LA
02C          Yes        Paul

1968 NOR

Let's add to this folks!
Ed

« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 08:24:55 PM by bertfam »

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2016, 08:04:49 PM »
Let's add to this folks!

Ed

Ed, I just checked my 02C LA built '68 Z28...

Left (driver's) side = rivnuts (2)
Right (passenger's) side = threaded plate

Paul

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2016, 08:26:06 PM »
Thanks Paul. I was still able to edit my prior post and add your car to the above.

Ed

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2016, 09:38:55 PM »
Thanks Gary. I've always found the exhaust options on 67-69 Camaros to be VERY confusing. Single exhaust, N61 (67), N10 (67 & 68), NF2 (68 & 69), NC8 (69)... Just too many choices!!

Dana, what's the VIN? If it's in the database, we might have more info on it. And yes, by all means post some pictures.

And I got a little more info on the rivnut usage for 1967. Troy (Criscillis) stated he worked on a late 1967 (06B) LA Coupe that DIDN'T have the rivuts, and Bill (Glowacki) said he had a late 1967 (06E) Z28 that he's virtually certain DID have the rivnuts, so a little more data for us. Anyone with a 1967 Coupe (LA or Norwood) care to chime in, I'd welcome the input.

Ed

Hi Ed, this is a 67 NOR 06A base V8 with M20 and the left driver's side frame rail seems to have two dimples that would be drilled out or holes possibly covered by undercoat (lousy pic but you can see two dipples), and the right passenger side has what seems like threads in the frame rail only. This 67 is a YY velocity yellow car from the factory and was surprised how much yellow was under the exhaust hanger.

Chick
67 L89 Corv Tribute
07 Corv Z06

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2016, 10:27:49 PM »
Yes. that's what all cars with single exhaust should have. Dimples on the driver's side and the plate on the passenger's side.

Thanks
Ed

Marty

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2016, 09:59:50 PM »
Just looked at my 1968 LOS 01C BB.

Passenger side: threaded plate
Driver's side: 4 holes, two are larger and looks like they might have had rivnuts in them but no longer there. Large holes are lower left and upper right locations.

Martin
Martin Foltz
CRG Member
68 Van Nuys Camaro

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2016, 10:13:24 PM »
07B 1967 Z28 from the LOS plant, less than 50 cars from the end of production, has just got the unreinforced holes for sheetmetal screws as seen in the previously posted photo.

An 06D SS350 car from the LOS plant was also the same.
Jon Mello
CRG

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2016, 01:27:37 AM »
Update:

1967 LA
06D           No         Jon Mello
07B           No         Jon Mello

1967 NOR

1968 LA
01C          Probably  Martin Foltz

1968 NOR

Ed

RS Copo

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2016, 07:29:11 PM »
My 10C, LA 68 driver side frame rail has the two holes matching Jon's picture in post#56.It also has the threaded plate on the underside of the same rail,next to the shock. The driver side floorboard has a threaded plate for a hanger.Passenger side has the threaded plate out behind the tire,nothing else.Two holes,but no plate on underside of rail next to the shock and what appear to be two holes in floorboard for a hanger, do not have a plate.
        Dana

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2016, 10:34:00 PM »
Update:

1967 LA

1967 NOR

1968 LA
10C          No          Dana

1968 NOR

Ed

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2016, 11:08:32 PM »
07B 1967 Z28 from the NOR plant, less than 80 cars from the end of production, does have the driver's side riv-nut inserts.

10A 1968 Z28 from the NOR plant, also has the inserts.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 03:00:34 AM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2016, 11:25:46 PM »
Update:

1967 LA

1967 NOR
07B          Yes        Jon Mello

1968 LA
10C          No          Dana

1968 NOR
10A          Yes        Jon Mello

Ed

RS Copo

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2016, 12:02:14 AM »
Ed, you have a PM.
On a previous post I said I had a threaded plate near the shock facing out from the frame rail on the pass side.I wondered if it was for the exhaust,it is for the rubber bumper,sorry!

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2016, 12:10:22 AM »
That's okay Dana. I'm not concerned about the passenger side of the car. Only the driver side.

Ed

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2016, 01:58:29 AM »
05A 1967 Z28 from the NOR plant, does have the driver's side riv-nut inserts.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2016, 04:31:12 AM »
03B 1967 Z28 from the NOR plant does not have the driver's side riv-nut inserts.
Jon Mello
CRG

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2016, 02:16:10 PM »
Update:

1967 LA

1967 NOR
03B          No         Jon Mello
05A          Yes        Jon Mello
06E          Probably  Bill Glowacki

1968 LA
10C (67)    No          Dana
02C          Yes         Paul

1968 NOR
10A (67)    Yes        Jon Mello

Thanks fellas. Keep it up!
Ed
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 02:47:57 PM by bertfam »

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2016, 02:51:02 PM »
 Ed,

This is still for coupes only and it is assumed the convertible didn't use them for 67-69 due to the thicker rails, correct?

Mike

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2016, 02:54:41 PM »
This is still for coupes only, correct and it is assumed the convertible didn't use them for 67-69due to the thicker rails, correct?

That's correct Mike. Only for 1967 and 1968 Coupes.

Ed

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2016, 08:42:09 PM »
Ed, our 68 NOR 01B has riv-nuts on left (drivers) side.
Chick
67 L89 Corv Tribute
07 Corv Z06

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2016, 09:25:08 PM »
Update:

1967 LA

1967 NOR
03B          No         Jon Mello
05A          Yes        Jon Mello
06E          Probably  Bill Glowacki

1968 LA
10C (67)    No          Dana
02C          Yes         Paul

1968 NOR
10A (67)    Yes        Jon Mello
01B           Yes        Chick

Ed

67jeffreyt

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2021, 03:11:11 PM »
I know this an old post but I just replaced my exhaust and my 67 01C date, and has small holes on driver's side and passenger side.  There's no way riv nuts would have fit.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 03:45:07 PM by 67jeffreyt »
67 ss/rs camaro currently
68 prostreet Camaro 9.60 1/4 mile
68 Rallysport, first car high school
89 rs camaro convertible, made readers rides super Chevy

plumL78

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2021, 12:26:00 PM »
I did a 67 Z from LA that didnt have rivnuts

anything