Author Topic: New to group and bought a 1969 X77 Z28 recently  (Read 4012 times)

Bigblockbird

• View Profile
New to group and bought a 1969 X77 Z28 recently
« on: November 08, 2016, 02:29:52 AM »
Hi group,
I recently bought a 1969 Z/28 through Barrett-Jackson in Vegas.
Unfortunately car was an estate deal best I can tell, so absolutely no history on it.
While I own a bunch of collector cars and several first gen F-Bodies. Mine have historically been Plain Jane nothing special cars.

So this Z/28 I am learning about as we speak. It is a Norwood Car. It has a Crossram that is Date Correct (real not a repro)
It has Date code and list Correct Holleys, also seem to be originals not repros. Remote drivers mirror, Gauges, Trim Package, Spoiler package, M-22 although I haven't checked date yet but it is a 22, 12 bolt limited slip, I simply tested that....LOL
Rear window defogger, Tach, Clock, original a.m. radio and Rosewood Wheel.
The odomoter says 79K and looking at pedal wear, carpeting, interior and all seems like it very well is likely it is real mileage.
It has the DZ numbers up top but haven't been under the car to look by the Oil Filter pad yet to see if the VIN is there.
The car is a color Change, it was Fathom Green previous owner switched it to Tuxedo Black.
The paint is incredible, too smooth in fact.
Anyhow, car has those fabulous Bias Ply tires that are brand new repros but they drive like crap.
If I want the wife to drive it I am thinking of putting on the new Cokers Goodyears in a radial as soon as they come out January or February.
I was also considering swapping out the Manual steering box with a Conversion from Heartbeat City, here is a link http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/store/product/20385/Camaro-Power-steering-kit-302-Z-28-1969/
So after saying all of this.
I do have a couple questions, I am not trying to do a concourse judging, so is it acceptable to convert this car to a correct nice power steering setup and are the radials something I am going to have to listen to everyone bitch about?
Thanks for any opinions.
John

x77-69z28

• View Profile
Re: New to group and bought a 1969 X77 Z28 recently
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 03:09:04 AM »
Perfectly acceptable. Congrats on the purchase. Post up some photos, and let us have a look. The good thing about Barret Jackson, is that Jerry MacNeish is supposed to look at all the trim tags, and make sure they are legit. Welcome to the site, a lot of knowledge here.
Buddy
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 04:11:46 AM »
John welcome to CRG and congrats   :D

Sharp looking car if it's the correct one I saw.  Add some pics if you can, specially the trim tag and drive train numbers.  The trim package was added (not factory on X77's), has standard seats with deluxe door panels (one or the other is wrong).  May have been over restored as it has a collection of odd option...IMHO

It's been at a few other auctions as well but never sold.  Mecum Houston 2013 $70K and Leake Tulsa Ok 2014 $68K.  So considering the past you got a better deal.

Go ahead and convert and enjoy it
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 04:49:07 AM by 69 Zee »
Darrell
'69 Camaro Z/28: 03B NOR X77 Dusk Blue, white top, all orig, Under construction
'69 Firebird all original 350 all power w/ac
'70 Plymouth Superbird: One owner, Limelight green, 45K miles, all original U code

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 03:58:29 PM »
Neat car.  I converted mine to PS with the same Heartbeat kit.  Works fantastic, and a pleasure for my wife to drive.

Just a heads up on the tires, Coker doesn't do anything with Goodyear.  The only retro radial tire they will offer will be the Firestones.  Unfortunately I'm told they won't be making the correct Z28 tire size  (E70-15) in the retro radial either, nor do they have any plans to do the Sport Car 200 tire in the radial.    So if a retro radial is what you're looking for, at this time you're stuck with an incorrect F70-15 Wide Oval.  Not necessarily a bad thing, it still has a neat appearance.  Only the purists would notice.   Hope you (er um, your wife) enjoys it.

Bigblockbird

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 05:20:20 PM »
@X33RS, My bad you are correct, they are only offering the Firestone as you say.
I spoke to a Goodyear dealer and they said there are noises out there about Goodyear themselves molding a Radial in a bias look. He thought middle next year but was basing it on industry rumor mostly.
I guess as opposed to being "Correct" I was just wanting to avoid the "Experts" at a local deal who want to Question the tire choice and me having to defend it over and over.
I will be fine with a Period Correct appearing tire and completely enjoy a radial versus the Bias Ply.
Glad to hear the conversion to Power Steer is not taboo. It actually drives awfully well with that light little 302 on the nose, but I want my Wife to embrace this car and enjoy it.
I know the late reaction into corners and the horrible tracking on our country roads would scare her to death.

Given the odometer reading of under 80k I am torn about driving it much, but realistically speaking, I don't own them to hide them, I own them to drive them, so I guess I won't sweat it.
Who even knows if it is original miles anyhow. I guess Macneish can track that down, but again, does it really matter.

I intend to own it for the next 20-30 years and then it is my Daughters problem.

I considered a bolt on Unisteer rack kit but why, it's not a road racer today, even if they were the cars to allow the Trans Am cars to race.

End of the day it'll probably be like the rest and only get maybe 3-500 miles a year so it'll stay pretty fresh.
I have a bunch of performance cars 8+ including projects and can hardly find the time to drive them all.
John

Bigblockbird

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 05:28:06 PM »
@69 ZEE,
Thanks for the info, interesting to see.
I think the Family Patriarch died a few years ago and that kind of explains the other two sales it was held back on reserve.

Truthfully I wasn't even really looking at this car very hard as i did figure at B-J with Buyers commish it would go near 80ish so I do feel okay with the price.

Here is a link to the Barrett-Jackson docket for others to see.
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1969-CHEVROLET-CAMARO-Z/28-198117

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 07:18:03 PM »
Yep, no harm on the power steering in my eyes.  For starters everything from Heartbeat is correct in appearance, casting numbers, and function, so no one would know any different anyway.  My thought is that in reality, when converted correctly, it probably does nothing but help value, as most people look for power steering nowadays.  So I wouldn't sweat the value aspect of it.

I am in the same boat as you.  My wife wanted to drive it daily, and ultimately I knew she wouldn't like manual steering, especially when dealing with a 4 speed.  I'd hear about it every time she had to park, lol.  Just in the last few months she's already put almost 2,000 miles on it.  I can't get her out of the darn thing.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 09:58:55 PM »
Hey congrats on your purchase. As mentioned there are a few things not spot on with the car, (paint on the rear deck lid) so I doubt someone is going to gove you  hard time about the tires. From the description it sounds like a date code correct 302 but not numbers matching? I would still try to check the VIN stamp, who knows.
I agree with Larry (X33RS), enjoy the car and have fun with it. I don't think putting miles or PS on it is going to hurt the value. I would think it would be a easier driver having the single 4 instead of the X ram, if your wife is going to drive it on a regular basis, but thats me. Interesting options, was there any docs or invoice the came with the car?
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

Bigblockbird

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 07:00:25 PM »
BULLIT65
Unfortunately no documentation of any kind.
I think it was part of settling an estate deal that may have gone on for a few years and that's why it finally ended up at B-J with no reserve.
I tried to post a pic of the trim tag ill try again now.
I see what you mean about the stripes coming down below the Spoiler.
And of course yeah, the Custom Door panels but standard seats.
I don't mind driving the crossram it actually drives pretty good although pretty sensitive and nothing that can be done to lean it down at idle, holy moses it is rich, but 1170 cfm of carburetion on a 302 is insane.
I did a little research and Holley actually makes 390 cfm carburetors in a Double pumper with the exact same body as these.
They are used in NASCAR RACING for the lower classes like the guys that race small 1/4-1/2 mile asphalt stuff. Maybe other classes too, I don't follow NASCAR.
But 780 cfm would be a whole lot easier to tune and it would retain the look of the crossram.
Face it, Single Holley or a Crossram with a pair of twins when you pop the hood????? No question on that one.
Anyhow, yeah it is fun already and the Power Steering is on FEDEX as we speak so I'll have that installed in a week or so.