Author Topic: Paint  (Read 3838 times)

OLD IRON

• View Profile
Paint
« on: November 18, 2016, 02:47:39 AM »
Hi all.
My 1967 Tahoe Turquoise coupe is about to go in for paint and I have some questions I hope the members can answer.
My reference books state that Tahoe Turquoise cars have a white bumblebee stripe, but  the car has a black vinyl roof. Should the bumblebee stripe be black or white?
Also, is the correct black color for the bumblebee stripe Tuxedo black? or alternatively, is the correct white color for the bumblebee stripe Ermine white?
Thanks in advance for any information.
Joe.

Vince

• View Profile
Re: Paint
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 06:22:51 PM »
My 1967 Tahoe Turquoise coupe with a black vinyl top came with a black bumble bee stripe.  I think the stripe always matched the vinyl top color, unless a car was maybe special ordered by a dealership.  I'm not  sure about if the black stripe was Tuxedo black or not. 

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 12:31:02 AM »
According to the CRG table, there were only three exceptions or variations to the set bumblebee stripe color "rules", and Tahoe Turquoise is not one of them.  See the footnotes.  So even with a black vinyl top your nose stripe should be white, unless you had special order paint which would be indicated on the trim tag.  From my 67 paint code information, Ermine White and Tuxedo Black were used for the striping.

http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml#ExteriorColors

OLD IRON

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 07:17:00 AM »
Thanks for your replies and links. It's great information that is much appreciated.
Another question has now sprung to mind regarding blackouts.
My car is a factory SS/RS 350 (4P) now cloned by a previous owner into a SS/RS 396, quite well done I think, and probably worth keeping as a BB car as I don't have the original 350.
After reading the CRG information, I have worked out the sill panels were not blacked out on the Tahoe Turquoise (Z 22) cars.
I am however, unsure whether the tail panel on BB Tahoe Turquoise cars got the blackout treatment.
Any advice on whether to blackout the tail panel or not?
Joe.

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 04:57:03 PM »
The rear body panel would be blacked out on a big block car. I LOVE Tahoe Turquiose!
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

OLD IRON

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 07:45:07 AM »
Gotta be one of my favorite colors too.
Interesting to see on the CRG color estimates chart only around 4.5% usage.
Some colors just look right on the old cars.