Author Topic: Ceramic Coating  (Read 22687 times)

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ceramic Coating
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2007, 04:11:39 AM »
Our exhaust manifold reskinning process cost $215 small block and $265 big block.

Our aluminum initake restoration is still $120, shipping is extra.  Check out our web site, www.z28camaro.com and read some of the customer feedback.

Jerry

My68SS

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2007, 05:45:59 PM »
Wow Jerry, had a click around your website. That is superb stuff!! Inspirational!!
Your the King!! " border="0
Rob
1968 12C SS
L34/M40
12 bolt posi 3.55

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 08:59:41 PM »
Dave,

Thanks for emailing me those pictures.  Your thread kind of wandered to exhaust and back to intake, but it was worth seeing what Jerry does to exhaust manifolds. There are shops with powder coating springing up all over the place.  One of my Chevelle buddies just had a lot of black powder coating done to various parts under his hood.  Looks brand new and shiny.  Do you think your powder coating will chip or scratch much?  I understand the heat resistance.

Thanks, again.

Phillip
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 09:04:44 PM by lakeholme »
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2007, 10:30:50 PM »
Phillip:

From what I was told, the finish is pretty tough regarding chips and scratches. And being out of the way of everything it should last a long long time.

Thanks for the response.

Dave

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007, 04:07:52 AM »
We do it in house, well, actually I do the spray welding outside behind my shop.  Cost is $215 for SB and $265 for BB.  Shipping is extra.

Jerry

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2007, 02:57:09 PM »
For those interested, here is a picture of my engine with the installed powder coated intake manifold. Waht do you think?

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2007, 07:13:32 PM »
Dave,

Thanks again for the pics you emailed me.  I tried pulling your picture up here and got nothing...

Phillip
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2007, 08:41:43 PM »
Unfortunately, this is not the best way to go with an aluminum intake manifold.  It won't take long before the elements and leaking fluids gets to it.  The heat from the engine will will discolor it over time.

Have been this type of restoration work for a long time and all that I say is based on facts from other customers who have been down this road before.

Jerry   

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2007, 10:42:04 AM »
Jerry:

Thanks for the input, but the intake is the original cast iron manifold.

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2007, 02:34:27 PM »
Jerry,

Would ceramic be any better? (Iron or aluminum) I'm not thing so much of appearance, as keeping the intake temp down.

Thanks,

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2007, 03:07:17 PM »
Tom,

With an aluminum intake, having it natural will disapate the heat the quickest.  Cast iron, I'm not sure.  I can you tihs though, in the world of NHRA's Stock Eliminator class, all of the guys who run the cast iron intake classes do not ceramic coat intakes.  And in their case, they want the heat to disapate as quick as possible.  Most just paint their intakes black.

Jerry

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2007, 05:10:34 PM »
Jerry,

Thatnks for the info, I was thinking more of the heat shield effect from coating the underside of the intake. Not a great important concern, just kind of wondering.

Thanks again,

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2007, 06:13:46 PM »
I'm sure in racing, heat built up in certain areas of the engine would be a concern. But since I don't race it is not an issued.
Tom, take a look at Swain Technologly, www.swaintech.com, they have been in the ceramic coating buisness for quite a few years and are pretty well known in  alot of the racing venues. They even discuss the application of ceramic coating to the"underside" of the intake manifold to help decrease heat build up.

dab67

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2007, 01:02:01 PM »
Moroso also makes a metal heat shield that mounts in the lifter galley.  Does a great job and very inexpensive.  I run one in the Old Reliable Z28 that I race.  Keeps all of the heat off the intake.

Jerry

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2007, 01:52:08 AM »
So what is involved inan aluminum intake "reskinning"?  If you can say wihtout giving away trade secrets ;)  Will the finish last once reinstaleld and run on the car?  Or will it behave as fresh cast aluminum?  I have been considering the best way to clean up my intakes and have them stay looking nice on the car....

anything