Author Topic: Stolen Z28 at Somerset KY car show this weekend (Yellow with black stripes/int)  (Read 6023 times)

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165858

This is all the information I have on this car...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Mike S

• View Profile
 I would be sleeping in my car if I had to leave it unattended anywhere. It would be just me and 'Dexter' to contend with for a would-be thief.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
I agree Mike...  although *most show hotels* have some form of security in their parking lots.  In the somerset case, the cars take over the town that weekend, but many hotels being involved... It was reported that over 1100 cars were in attendance...

X33RS

• View Profile
That's exactly what I practice Mike.  Although these days not as much time to attend things, maybe 1 or 2 times a year and I stay in the western half of the country.

The Somerset show I used to attend every month, at least back then they used to have it once a month, not sure how it's run now.  It was always a great show.  Too bad about the theft.   Hate to see that. 

BULLITT65

• View Profile
your link worked, but I couldn't find the Facebook post
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
That's exactly what I practice Mike.  Although these days not as much time to attend things, maybe 1 or 2 times a year and I stay in the western half of the country.

The Somerset show I used to attend every month, at least back then they used to have it once a month, not sure how it's run now.  It was always a great show.  Too bad about the theft.   Hate to see that. 

FYI.. they still have the show every month, with a different vehicle type/model being the featured cars each month.   This month is the last one of this year and the TriFives were featured.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
I would like to see someone start setting up stings at hotels or car shows, to catch these guys in the act. I would have said law enforcement but I think a decoy car could be set up better by car guys than the police, and it would be cheaper and managed better.

Kelley W King

• View Profile
Probably need more info. Parts or the car may show up for sale with fake tags. I picked up my 69 L78 in Penn. I had driven since 2 am and was at the VA. line about 10 PM and my wife wanted to get a motel since we had 70 more miles to go. I told her with no insurance and the car on my trailer it was not an option. Needed gas about midnite and got home at 2 am. Will think about it next time.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
Whether it makes a difference or not, I sent Haggerty numbers(pics)off the trans,rear end,engine(block-heads-etc..) Plus one's off common items which end up on ebay-Team Camaro-Yenko.net. And most of the car's numbers are in the 68 Data base here. If the Z ever disappeared, at least some sort of path could be created in the event my parts began appearing on some of the more popular sites.The big 3 Camaro sites sort have fenced in the enthusiast, and word would get out quick if someone's stolen parts began to surface.My hopes anyway.

Makes me want to keep the car as just an expensive shop decoration!

68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

BULLITT65

• View Profile
Jano how could anyone steal any parts let alone your car, when it is kept in your vault at home and never sees the sun? j/k buddy

good idea documenting parts for the worst case scenario.

Still would like to see something like the show " bait car" where if it got picked up they could track the guys and shut down a couple of networks

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Austin, if you'd had such a 'bait car' at Somerset last weekend, it would be ONE of 1100 cars..  so the probability of it getting lifted would be 1/1100?? or maybe a bit more than that if it were a 'fantastic car'... (Do you want to volunteer your 'fantastic' Z28 as a 'bait car'?? :)

BULLITT65

• View Profile
no I was thinking more along the lines of having say a 69 Z clone or SS clone (clone-so not as big a risk). and then park it kinda in a opportune spot at a hotel or on the outskirts of a car show/ auction. So if you were a thief and scouting around, it would be the best opportunity. There is a way to lead the bear to the honey

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
Jano how could anyone steal any parts let alone your car, when it is kept in your vault at home and never sees the sun? j/k buddy

good idea documenting parts for the worst case scenario.

Still would like to see something like the show " bait car" where if it got picked up they could track the guys and shut down a couple of networks

On weekends, the vault opens up to play with it some, lots of sunlight gets in, lol!

Trailers should back to each other in the lots. If the car's gonna sit unattended, some "secret" way to disable should be present. Which is just a deterrent. I've heard cases around here where the whole rig gets stolen.Truck and trailer recovered(out of state), car disappeared. Tracking chip?
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

X33RS

• View Profile
You are exactly right.  Even putting our car in the enclosed trailer doesn't mean it's safe.  Friend of mine had his whole rig stolen.  They just broke into the truck and drove off with everything, took the trailer to a secluded location, broke into that and took the car.  This happened in Pigeon Forge about 20 years ago, so this has been an on going issue for a very long time.   Seems I hear of this in that area of the country most often. 

The most interesting part, either one of 2 things happen.  Either they target the car and watch it all day and know where it was parked for the night so they know what they are stealing when they take the whole rig (which is a scary thought)  Or....they just stole it on a whim and didn't know what they might be getting in the trailer.

I've said it before, I sleep in the car, it's the only way to deter this kind of problem.  It's unfortunate but it's just the way things are.

I hope the poor fella's car is recovered in one piece. 

RS3SDL2MG

• Brad
    • View Profile
I was at this show I looked at that camaro over in town on saturday , after hearing about this I did some internet searching and this is very common hotels , 3am , cars gone , the stole another 69 camaro from the big streetrod show in louisville ky , I have went to somerset for the past 3 years once a month but unless I can figure something out I am not going back or to any shows where you have to stay in a hotel , I have thought about this a lot the problem is our cars are worth so much money in parts , and the other thing in my opinion is these theives are not teenagers that just decided to steal a car they plan it and follow the car show schedule , I bet they dont start the cars I bet they hook up to them and drive away , its ashame and as said above I would love to see them caught ! the thieves that stole the 69  camaros from somerset and louisville are probly one in the same , same MO stole the same kind of car and both were 3am from a hotel , I hope they are  caught
1967 RS 327 (210) horse C-C ermine white 732 bright blue interior RARE 4P - DELETE

anything