Author Topic: Brake distribution block - brass seat condition ???  (Read 3421 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Brake distribution block - brass seat condition ???
« on: November 17, 2016, 05:29:27 PM »
I am rebuilding my brake distribution block with a kit from Muscle Car Research. There are five ports with brass seats in the block. I am replacing the brass seat that had to pulled to get the guts out. A new one comes in the kit. Now I am wondering about the condition of the four remaining original brass seats and if they are OK or also need replacing.....if you can even get replacements.

The replacement seat in the rebuild kit is cone shaped and the side of the cone is smooth from top to bottom. Rather than trying to describe what the remaining original seats look like, the photos tell the story better. Every one seems to be shaped differently. No two look alike. Some have a ridge on the side. The rim on the top of the cone is wider on some than others.....and so on.

I am wondering if this is the way they should look or if they all started as a smooth cone shape and then the brass molded itself over time to the brake line flare?I don't believe the brake lines going into these ports were ever removed since leaving the factory before I took them off....so there hasn't been a lot of repeated loosening and tightening on the seats.  I've owned this car since '78 and never had a leak at the distribution block.

Coincidentally, I have another identical distribution block here and every brass seat looks identical to my originals. That would lead me to believe that this is the way the seats should look but I want to be sure. I don't want to get this all together and looking nice and then have the connections leak.

And if the seats happen to be worn, are replacements available for all of them?

Thanks........Dave

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Brake distribution block - brass seat condition ???
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 05:54:48 PM »
Dave, when the block was originally installed at the factory, the brass seats were like your "new" one pictured above. Nice and smooth. When the brake line fittings were screwed down and tightened against the seats, the brass deformed (crushed) to make a water tight (or, in this case, a "brake fluid tight") connection. The seats you see in your block are typical of what you should see after removing the brake lines.

More than likely you could still continue to use the block "as-is", but if you can find new seats, I would recommend you go ahead and replace them all. Do it right the first time so you don't have to do it right the second!

Ed

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 06:02:39 PM »
 I think that block uses different seat styles. Some have a shallow face profile and I am not aware of who may sell them.
Mine looked like that but did seal just fine with new lines.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 02:43:54 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

I will look around to see if I can find new. If not, I'll go with what I have.

Dave

m22mike

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 01:31:28 PM »
Dave
 I have after removing all the brass seats I have refaced them . I chuck them in a drill that can grab the small flange and dress them down with a small single cut file then finish with scotchbright, they will lokk brand new.

Mike
X66 L78 M22 4.10 Deluxe Threads, PNT 10/10, Red Hockey stripe