Go to full version

Camaro Research Group Discussion > Originality

69 heater box spray sealer

(1/3) > >>

john302:
Does anyone have any original cars that still have the spray sealer around the heater box cover?Non ac cars.The car I am restoring had the spray sealer around the outside of the box.The question is does it go all around the box or just the top edge? thanks John

69Z28-RS:
When I removed my heater box, it had been sealed at the factory using 3M 'gray' strip caulk (which is still available)..  ie.. NOT a spray, and not on the outside of the cover.  I suspect yours had an old leak and the owner tried to seal it up...?

m22mike:
Here is one John, 04C Norwood.
Mike

X33RS:
My Norwood 12D 69 Z is unrestored in this area as I was preserving the firewall details for a later restoration, and it has a little bit of that around the box.  Not excessive but there is some.  I would suspect it changed throughout production as I've seen some originals that didn't have any at all.   My wife drove it to work today so a picture will have to wait if you want one.

69Z28-RS:
Here is a photo of my firewall in the heater box area (after removal of the box/heater/etc)...  Not the best photo as it's a little out of focus, but very evident is the gray 3M strip caulk under the box lip for sealing.  I did not see any residue from a 'spray sealer' around the outside lip of the box.  Perhaps that material was used by dealerships if a heater box leak was reported??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page