Author Topic: Hot no start  (Read 2201 times)

FuptDuck

• View Profile
Hot no start
« on: October 10, 2016, 09:30:35 PM »
Having trouble with my 69 Z/28 not starting when hot.  Seems to be a vapor lock or something.  Car starts fine cold, runs and drives fine up to temperature but when I go to restart it while hot I have to pump the gas repeatedly for it to restart.  Has original Holley carb, recently rebuilt, same problem before and after the rebuild.  Has original style steel fuel lines, no carb heat shield. 

Kelley W King

• View Profile
Re: Hot no start
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 12:21:42 PM »
A simple item could be the square gasket at the accelerator pump rod. It is on the the throttle side near the front. You will have to remove the carb to replace it.  Even the local parts stores should have them. A tell tale sign is discoloration on the aluminum intake under it. The gas usually evaporates but leaves color. May not be your problem but with you symptoms it has in the past.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hot no start
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 03:30:38 PM »
Is your fuel line touching the face of head or the edge of the intake manifold where it comes across the right front side of the engine?  My 68 327's line did that and it would vapor lock on me after parking and even when running on a hot summer day.  Pulled it off the face of the head by about 1/4" and it never did it again.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

anything