Author Topic: Questions about '69 Six Air Cleaners  (Read 5645 times)

68SixBangerRS

• Camaro Project from HELL
    • View Profile
Questions about '69 Six Air Cleaners
« on: October 07, 2016, 11:37:35 PM »
These questions are probably for Kurt S., but anyone else who knows please feel free to respond.  I compared the original 250 air cleaner from my 09C '69 coupe to the one on the untouched '69 230 convertible currently for sale on Ebay.  That car was built in April and has a smog pump, which Kurt says all six cylinder '69 Camaros had.  My car still has its original engine and has no smog pump bracket or tubes, and the air cleaner has a Therm-Vac solenoid and heat tube.  I looked on the 'Net and found a '70 Nova six cylinder with that same air cleaner and no smog pump.   The 1st question is were late model year '69 Camaros being built with 1970 model engines?  My 2nd question is whether the smog pump was eliminated after 1970 on six cylinder Chevys, and a heat stove installed with the corresponding Therm-Vac switch?  The 1st photo shows the conv. engine, the 2nd is my car's air cleaner, and the 3rd is the '70 Nova's air cleaner.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about '69 Six Air Cleaners
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 02:57:36 AM »
You are misquoting me.
http://www.camaros.org/emissions.shtml
"The AIR system was installed on all L6 cars with manual transmissions, all small blocks with manual transmissions, and all Camaros with big blocks.  Only the automatic L6 and automatic small block Camaros did not have smog pumps, instead they had the simpler Controlled Combustion System. "
Kurt S
CRG

68SixBangerRS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 06:13:23 AM »
Sorry Kurt...I didn't mean to misquote you...I misunderstood exactly what you were saying.  So my question is...is it possible that late '69 Camaros that were built into the '70 model year used '70 engines?  Don, the original owner of my '69, said the air cleaner is the original one for this car.  The exhaust manifold is so crusty and pitted that I can't find a date code, but it definitely never had air tubes as there are no holes.  I doubt there are enough late year six cylinder Camaros left to get a definitive answer.  It's just very odd.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 01:44:47 AM »
If you are asking could a 69 L6 manual be built without smog - no.
Kurt S
CRG

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 02:57:14 AM »
Sorry Kurt...I didn't mean to misquote you...I misunderstood exactly what you were saying.  So my question is...is it possible that late '69 Camaros that were built into the '70 model year used '70 engines?  Don, the original owner of my '69, said the air cleaner is the original one for this car.  The exhaust manifold is so crusty and pitted that I can't find a date code, but it definitely never had air tubes as there are no holes.  I doubt there are enough late year six cylinder Camaros left to get a definitive answer.  It's just very odd.
What is confusing is that you are comparing your car to is a stick vert. Is your car a manual trans car? If that was disclosed, I did not see it posted?  Have you determined that the engine is the one "born with" your car? I am not sure if you said what was on the T Tag?
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

68SixBangerRS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 04:35:36 AM »
Yes, it was originally a '69 Coupe with a manual trans and a 6 (disregard my avatar...now dealing with a '69).  It still has its "BE" coded engine, but the 2nd owner switched it to an automatic transmission in the late '70s so his wife could drive it. The automatic parts were taken from a Nova (either a '69 or '70), and the 3-on-the-tree column removed.  I received most of the original stick parts...bellhousing, Z-bar, clutch pedal, etc.  The original owner bought the car back in 2001 intending to return it to a 3-on-the-tree, but never got around to it.  The air cleaner that came with it appears to be a '70-type with a Therm-Vac switch, and there are no provisions in the exhaust manifold for smog tubes.  I'm dealing with old guys who probably can't remember what the hell they did to this car, and I'll just have to track down the correct parts for the smog pump set-up.

stovebolt

• 1968 L6 Sport Coupe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 12:58:00 PM »
On the L6 engines, the smog pump air tubes are not fitted to the exhaust manifold but to the cylinder head. You should check to see if your cylinder head has these holes plugged. If it doesn't have the holes, perhaps it's the wrong cylinder head and/or engine. Does your engine have double-groove pulleys on the crankshaft, water pump and alternator which are used with the smog pump?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 01:29:50 PM by stovebolt »

anything