Author Topic: Question on canadian sold cars...  (Read 3656 times)

X33RS

• View Profile
Question on canadian sold cars...
« on: October 05, 2016, 04:41:33 PM »
Is there a simple way to find out if a Norwood built car may have been sold in Canada?    Did they all have that odd looking Canadian data plate or were their US data plate cars sold up there?  A list of serial numbers maybe??

I ask because under my original carpet I found a partial excise Canada tax paper.  It's not unusual to find that in an Arizona car since we have a lot of Canadian sun bunnies that live down here in the winter as well as operate businesses.   It just peaked my curiosity as to the possibility that the car may have been sold up there.....or not.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Re: Question on canadian sold cars...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 05:42:34 PM »
The only difference is one sticker underhood.
The only way to know is to call GM of Canada.
http://www.camaros.org/geninfo.shtml#MyCarHistory
Kurt S
CRG

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 06:11:56 PM »
That's interesting news.  There were 2 original stickers under the hood. Both on the core support.  One I knew was the original emission decal because it was still legible.  The other sticker was not legible so there was no way to tell what it may have been.  I simply assumed it may have been a coolant decal since there are some reports that a few cars received that.   I never thought it could be anything else.

Thanks for the info Kurt.  I'll give them a call, see what info they need, and see if they can simply tell me if the car was sold up there or not before I go spending money on something.  May turn out to be something, or not.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 07:50:19 PM »
I called, they are emailing me a form to fill out.  For $16.95 Canadian they'll research the info I provide to see if it was in fact sold there.  If it was then it's $124.95 for the packet with documentation.   I figure worse case I'm out very little money to answer my curiosity.  Only one way to find out.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 04:20:28 AM »
The GM of Canada oil change recommendation sticker is on the inner fender. From JohnZ's car.
Kurt S
CRG

Daytona Z

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 01:58:05 PM »
I'd say $16 is well spent to see if the car was originally from Canada. If it turns out they have the micro fiche on your VIN, you can expect to receive full Canada Docs confirming the trim code, paint, shipping date, dealer, and the list of confirmed RPO codes that the car was built with. IMO cars with Cdn Paperwork offer true provenance from the way they were factory built & makes them more desirable cars considering how many fakes are out there.

Good luck on the paperwork.
Just an obsessive-compulsive first gen car guy...

did I mention I like three pedals in a car?

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 02:30:52 PM »
Thanks Kurt and GreenNV,
  Yeah the Canadian stuff is pretty neat.  I was more or less trying to originate the cars whereabouts in 69 and track down a previous owner more than anything else.  I already know it's legit with a real X33 data plate and matching vins, It's in the database here, and the car was largely unrestored and dormant for 35 years.

In any event, they have already charged my credit card the $15 but haven't heard anything else so it's probably safe to assume that's a research fee and nothing found.  I just played a hunch is all since I found a Canada tax stamp under the carpet, but I knew going in that's not unusual with an Arizona car.  Cheap research to answer a possible lead.

Back to square one, the original story I was told holds true I suppose that the car was sold in Phoenix.  Some of the story got a little odd from there but that's another subject.
    I've been unsuccessful in trying to find any known performance dealers in the Phoenix area circa 69 with internet searching but I know they had to have at least one.   Other searches don't reveal a thing because the car was removed from the system since it was dormant for so long, so no previous records exist with the state.  The owner I bought it from is still alive and we stay in touch, but it's been so long (and he's in his 80's with cancer) he doesn't remember much of anything anymore.