Author Topic: Cracked original windshield ... where to get replacement?  (Read 5230 times)

67L48

• View Profile
Cracked original windshield ... where to get replacement?
« on: September 12, 2016, 09:18:53 PM »
My original windshield just took a rock and cracked.  Crap.  Will claim under insurance with a $250 deductible.  I have a couple of questions:

1)  I'm in Northern Colorado.  Where can I go to get good classic car help?  I've only called 2 shops, but both of them acted like I was speaking a foreign language when I suggested Pilkington, original windshield with date code.  If anyone knows of a good shop, please let me know.  Thanks.

2)  My windshield states:  SHADED .. SOFT-RAY .. SAFETY [LOF] PLATE .. YA [LOF] AS1 .. LAMINATE .. M4 (where the LOF is diagonal).  And it has this info facing the interior.

Looks like all of the repro windshields from Ricks and others with the original etching are for AS2, M55 windshields.  Is this as good as it gets for me?  I'll never have a true AS1/M4 replacement to my original?

Thanks.

67L48
1967 Camaro SS 350
PG, factory air, console, fold down rear seat, PS, PB, butternut yellow, #s matching, original manual/warranty/POP, <60K miles
Northeast Iowa

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: Cracked original windshield ... where to get replacement?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 09:59:03 PM »
Contact Pilkington Classics directly to order your windshield.  They can/will etch it to your specification...

https://www.pilkingtonclassics.com/shop/listfeaturedstore

09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 04:45:32 AM »
If they charge extra to re-stamp (sorry, re-etch) then personally I'd leave the date code off, not worth trying to pass it off as the original.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 12:47:05 PM »
 I had every intention to pay the extra too for a correctly etched windshield until my buddy did that on his fresh restore and just recently got a rock chip during a cruze night. Oh, was he pissed! It wasn't a star burst type that can be filled in to prevent further cracking, but is the one that has a far reaching crack.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

67L48

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 03:31:26 PM »
[...]  Will claim under insurance with a $250 deductible.  [...]
Cost to me is the same.  Why wouldn't I get the etched windshield?  Is there an inherent quality difference?  Is the non-etched, non-Pilkington glass better?

Thanks.

67L48
1967 Camaro SS 350
PG, factory air, console, fold down rear seat, PS, PB, butternut yellow, #s matching, original manual/warranty/POP, <60K miles
Northeast Iowa

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 06:23:18 PM »
WHY is using a 'reproduction' windshield any different than replacing a 'crusty' door handle or some other part with a 'reproduction'??  I don't understand why someone would be averse to use of an 'appearance' correct windshield, any more than use of any other 'original appearing' part for our cars.   If the original part is broken, or unsightly, or missing...  MOST of us (if not all) will find the most original appearing/functioning part available (and these will generally be reproduction parts from places like CHQ, etc).

A 'pilkington classics' windshield is no different.  I purchased one dated consistent with my other original glass to replace my 'scratched' original.  I have not yet installed it, but someday I will...

PS.  The 'dating' cost is small relative to the cost of the windshield.

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 07:52:47 PM »
WHY is using a 'reproduction' windshield any different than replacing a 'crusty' door handle or some other part with a 'reproduction'??  I don't understand why someone would be averse to use of an 'appearance' correct windshield, any more than use of any other 'original appearing' part for our cars.   If the original part is broken, or unsightly, or missing...  MOST of us (if not all) will find the most original appearing/functioning part available (and these will generally be reproduction parts from places like CHQ, etc).

A 'pilkington classics' windshield is no different.  I purchased one dated consistent with my other original glass to replace my 'scratched' original.  I have not yet installed it, but someday I will...

PS.  The 'dating' cost is small relative to the cost of the windshield.

I've never quite understood the thinking on this one either Gary. So many restore their cars to as close as original as possible including firewall graffiti and L78 oil pressure fittings and a million other parts. IMO, that falls into the same category. I like to have replacement parts look as close as possible to the parts I have to replace. This isn't because I'm trying to pull one over on someone. It's because that's the way I like to see it. Although I do solicit opinions about certain things on my car, opinions vary and because I'll never sell my SS, mine is the only one that really matters in the end when it comes to my car.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 08:13:56 PM »
 I tend to agree with Dave and Gary's comments. Personally, I doubt anyone would be too concerned about if a windshield is original or not in regards to the date etched. I think most will assume it was replaced because the chances of one not getting damaged in 50 years are very slim. My '67 coupe still has the original windshield in it but it has delaminated so much around the edges that it will not pass NY safety inspection. If I have a change of heart and decide to get one I would get the date etched being I spent so much time and effort in getting the restoration as accurate as possible, right down to the repro. dealer sticker  :)

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 09:58:47 AM »
Question of personal preference; I always aim to replace any missing parts on my cars with nice used GM originals, but if I have no choice but to use a repro part, would not choose to pay extra to add a date code or part number that attempts to mimic an original.
Surprised at the reaction about this opinion, if it was a distributor or alternator that someone offered to put the original numbers on for you, there'd be an outcry.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 10:30:03 AM by ZLP955 »
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 12:04:39 PM »
if it was a distributor or alternator that someone offered to put the original numbers on for you, there'd be an outcry.
This is true, but I think that's because 9.9 times out of 10 re-stamps are used to defraud someone. I just feel windshields don't fall into the same category. I still have my original windshield, but I want to install a nice new clear one because I drive it.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 01:12:05 PM »
Question of personal preference; I always aim to replace any missing parts on my cars with nice used GM originals, but if I have no choice but to use a repro part, would not choose to pay extra to add a date code or part number that attempts to mimic an original.
Surprised at the reaction about this opinion, if it was a distributor or alternator that someone offered to put the original numbers on for you, there'd be an outcry.

I agree with your goal of using GM parts; I do the same, but a windshield isn't a part that you can *restore* (in most cases, except perhaps for light scratches).. in my case, it's a deeper scratch.. so I chose to buy a NEW windshield and why not mark it as original?

PS.  in the case of Pilkington Classic glass, it's not a situation of 'removing' the manufacturer's marks and replacing it.  They MAKE the glass and mark it as you specify..  I'm sure if you wanted them to put "REPRO windshield" on it, so as not to mis-lead anyone, they would do it for you!.. :)

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 05:49:46 PM »
I am pleased with my pilkington glass and did have the date code added. If there's nothing in the corner where the date code and soft Ray info is, it would look funny.
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

anything