Author Topic: 68 Console shift plate woodgrain insert removal  (Read 2268 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
68 Console shift plate woodgrain insert removal
« on: September 14, 2016, 10:13:36 PM »
I want to get the exposed chrome surfaces of my 68 console shift plate re-chromed. Has any one ever removed the woodgrain insert without damaging it and sucessfully put it back on?

I know I can by the repro of the entire unit for probably less than it would cost to re-chrome but I want to keep and use my original piece.

I know I can buy a repro of the wood grain insert but from pictures, it looks like just a decal. The original woodgrain insert looks thicker than a decal....like it is a decal bonded to a metal backing plate, similar to the way the woodgrain on the dash center trim piece is.

I would also be concerned that with a repro woodgrain insert, that the grain and color wouldn't match my existing woodgrain ash tray and dash center trim piece. Those pieces are in great shape and look almost new but 48 years of sun exposure has changed the tint of them.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks...........Dave

KevinW

• View Profile
Re: 68 Console shift plate woodgrain insert removal
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 11:34:26 AM »
I have taken apart a 69 auto plate, the 68s should be the same construction.  Yes, the woodgrain contact vinyl is stuck on a thin metal plate, which is glued to the chrome base.  For a manual, you would have to take off the pattern plate (grind the rivets?), then carefully get a thin piece of metal to slide under the woodgrain to separate.  You really cannot pry it up, it bends fairly easy. Sliding a thin putty knife around the edges until you can get to the center is the way to go.  Luck! 

anything