Author Topic: Dealer number  (Read 18757 times)

jcihos

• View Profile
Dealer number
« on: September 05, 2016, 01:32:50 PM »
I am wondering if anyone would have a document for Zone 45 Dealer 134 Ned Gates Chevrolet in Benton Harbor, MI. I received my NCRS shipping report for my 68 z/28 and NCRS has " Believed to have been shipped to National Car rental in Kansas City, MO." I just spoke with Mark at NCRS and he said that if I can find proof that Ned Gates Chevrolet was zone 45 dealer 134 that they could correct the report and also update their records.

fsc66

• View Profile
Re: Dealer number
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 12:21:48 AM »
It is pretty scary that they can have information so far off like this. If you go to the NCRS data base on line and plug in Kansas City, MO is comes up with zones: 3, 5, 48 and 13.
If you do the same for Benton Harbor, MI it results in 3 listings and they are all Ned Gates at zone 44 and 45. How in the world can they have National Car rental in Kansas City or any other result in Kansas City for zone: 45?????

Paul

NCRS on-line database:
http://www.ncrs.org/services/dealer-code-data.php

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 01:11:03 AM »
Thanks for the link Paul. I know the dealer on my car and it's not in the database. I should get my ncrs paper and see what they called the zone and try that
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 03:08:42 AM »
Zone 45 had South Bend, IN as the HQ in 67-69.
No way was it MO.
Kurt S
CRG

fsc66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 03:11:15 AM »
Bill,
Shoot me your dealer and I'll look in my database if you want, send me a PM unless I have looked already?

Paul

jcihos

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 12:38:00 PM »
According to NCRS the online database is not official and anyone can upload information into it. That is why even though the database says that I am correct they still will not use it to correct my shipping report. 

fsc66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 12:47:49 PM »
That is true, anyone can add information but they also have a factual database they can look through and see that it could not possible be Kansas City, MO. I'll take a look to see if I have any documents reflecting your dealer.

Paul

jcihos

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 05:58:51 PM »
Thank you Paul. Any help would be appreciated.

fsc66

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 02:14:59 AM »
Don't have any copies of paperwork just have 2 separate listings for them at the correct address and the zone and code you already have.

Paul

jcihos

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 06:26:11 PM »
Don't have any copies of paperwork just have 2 separate listings for them at the correct address and the zone and code you already have.

Paul

Thanks Paul. Doing some research it looks like it was name Twin Cities Chevrolet prior to being purchased by Ned Gates around May 1968. Could it be possible that the deal number stayed the same after the purchase?

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 04:42:10 AM »
In some cases the dealer number remained the same when the new owner was in the family of the first owner... ie. more of an inherited thing maybe? 

Another possibility, perhaps the dealer number only changed when it was requested to be changed by the new owner?
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

fsc66

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 02:29:52 PM »
Shot me over your e-mail and I'll send you some cool articles about the Transistions between the 2 dealerships.

Paul

jcihos

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 05:04:34 PM »
Shot me over your e-mail and I'll send you some cool articles about the Transistions between the 2 dealerships.

Paul

Thanks Paul I received the clippings you sent over. I was speak with Bob Demmel over at NCRS and he was able to find Ned Gates Chevrolet in his records from 1972 as Zone 45 Dealer 134. I have contacted Marylin who handles the Camaro look ups to see if she can correct my shipping report. I am wondering however if the Corvette and Camaro groups don't use the same records. To me that wouldn't make sense but who knows.

69tuxedoz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 05:58:14 AM »
 For the most part, I think NCRS records are accurate but there are definitely errors.  Ive had a couple recently. Most obvious is a report I received on a local sold Z from a small town next to me.  NCRS report says correct dealer and zone numbers, but dealer name is not correct.  This town, Winchester, IN, only had 1 Chevy dealership, Geyer. I know the salesman who sold it, same guy that sold ZL1 #68 and  I have docs and contacted NCRS but they were not interested in correcting.  Another 69 Z, sold new in AL, I have the correct dealer name that matches NCRS info and report, but they will not send new report with the dealer name on it, even though there are other reports with that dealers info and the same zone codes etc.  I think its a great tool, but far from ironclad, which could be bad when trying to help validate other docs that may be with a car.

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 05:49:18 PM »
I have a friend who is an original owner of a 68 Camaro that he ordered himself.  Still has the car...
So he figures for the helluvit, he'll get the NCRS dealer report to have as more info.
To his surprise, he gets the report and it lists a dealer number, with an additional statement about not being able to identify a dealer name.
My friend calls the person at NCRS and he explains what he has in terms of paperwork, original window sticker, protecto plate...whatever.
In essence, he bought the car at Sausman Chevrolet outside Harrisburg, PA in 68.  The dealer number on the report is one number off the one listed on the window sticker.
He calls the NCRS person and explains the situation.......however, the person at NCRS wouldn't listen to him and wouldn't correct the report / cert....even with proof-positive data.

So.....just because you get a report from the NCRS, I wouldn't take it as gospel truth.