Author Topic: PBT stamp height  (Read 4823 times)

Mike S

• View Profile
PBT stamp height
« on: September 01, 2016, 04:33:20 PM »
 I'm helping a friend with putting on the PBT stamp marks to his '67. Looking at the stamp they look too large, IMO. The actual character contact height is 1" tall. I compared it to a tracing of mine taken back in the early 80's and they measure approximately .8" tall. He got these from Ricks. Does or can anyone confirm if 1" is correct compared to my .8" trace? I'm holding off on doing the actual stamp until I can confirm this.

Thanks!
Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: PBT stamp height
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 12:41:35 PM »
 As an update and for future reference, I've done a pretty exhaustive comparison using posted original PTB stamping pictures. Using the two dimples on the firewall that is used to mount a circuit breaker for a power convertible top that were in so many pictures as a fixed reference and measuring that using a vernier caliper on my car, the stamp heights come out to approximately .80" so the ones that vendors like Eckler's sells as "exact" are in fact too large at 1" though the font looks to be very accurate. Even my original template I made in the 80’s from a tracing has a font size of approximately .80”. With the help via some CRG PM's and having fonts measured from a survivor Z-28, those measured out to approximately 7/8" (.875"). So, I took an image of the Eckler's fonts, which seem to be accurate, and on the P gave it a slightly fatter bulge to match an original stamp, and had custom stamps made up by rubberstamps.com to have the size to be approximately .85".
  Using orange model paint from Testor's and blending in some red to tone it down to match the hue in the many original pictures and using the Testor thinners to slightly thin it so it doesn't smudge up and with a dried single baby wipe as a stamp pad, stamped the fonts. With the Testor brand thinner you can stamp the firewall and wipe it off with a rag and not mar the surface if you want to redo it. This is with the firewall having been sprayed with a urethane paint. My friend was happy and so was I. Being it was my idea to have the stamps made up I kept them and attached a picture of my now stamped firewall and also included an Eckler's T stamp next to the .85" T to show the difference (the 1" was later removed of course  :) ) For a not so perfect look I did a random hit with the stamps and however it came out is what I kept. The blotch on the B looks more authentic than perfect hits, IMO.

Mike

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 01:00:20 PM »

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 12:20:33 AM »
Many photos of original stamps here and at T.C.. Your seam sealer does not have the appearance of an original; it is too nice. Check out originals for comparison.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 01:55:26 AM »
 Here and TC is where I got the many photos of the stamps :)  The car is for local shows only so I'm not too worried about the firewall seams. The originals were very thin too before I removed what was left and the one I put back doesn't look too different from them. Areas over the engine near the  drivers side had no sealer due to a previous engine fire before I bought the car. Probably from its drag race days.

Mike

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 10:27:28 AM »
The 7/8" Mike referred to was the height of Skip's 69 Survivor Hugger Orange Z/28 PBT stamps.
If I can Mike I found a water based paint at Walmart that works IMHO great. It gives a very similar look to originals and if needed or wanted one can wipe down with a mild water soap solution to make it look older. This is what I used on our 68Z restoration.

Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Buzz1967

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 07:00:43 PM »
Through my discussion with several very knowledgeable people, I've come to believe only the Norwood factory used the PBT stamps. Furthermore, in 1967 they were stamped way out on the cowl area where they aren't visible once the car is assembled. For reasons unknown to me, they were moved further inboard in 1968 where they are visible above the heater and master cylinder areas.

Hopefully someone will jump in and back me up on this. 

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 07:22:55 PM »
 Yes, '67 did have them inboard under the fender as well. But my 05B NOR had them on the firewall. There was a mixture during that period. I attached one of the many images I found on the web with the stamps and this one is a '67. LOS never used them and instead they had inspection punch cards. See this link to that discussion: http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=14547.msg128661#msg128661

Mike

anything